Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret O'Brien, hospital nurse, Bridgwater 1953

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Garrington

Garrington Report 2 May 2021 16:55

Hi, I'm looking for any relatives or information on the above lady. This lady is in my family tree and all I know is that she was in Bridgwater, Somerset in 1953, I have no other information, no DOB, DOD or marriage. A search on this site has got me 300 tree possibilities, that's a lot of messages to send, but if that's what I have to do, I will.
Does anyone know if there is a way of searching either the NHS, hospital records or professional bodies for nursing staff or any other way of tracing this lady through her occupation ?
Any help or guidance would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Garry

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 May 2021 17:04

If she is in your family tree surely you have a rough idea of when she was likely to have been born.

However many places there might be to research her you do need to have an estimate of her age.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 May 2021 17:11

Records will be confidential - one hopes!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 May 2021 17:54

Surely if she is in your family tree you must know something more about her like her date of birth.

Absolutely no way of knowing if this is the person you are looking for but going on the premise that she must have been born sometime in the 1930's or before and living in Somerset there is this lady on the 1939 register:-

Patricia Margaret Palmer (Obrien)'s life in 1939

Cotford Mental Hospital Bishops Lydeard, Bishops Lydeard, Taunton R.D., Somerset, England

First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number

Patricia Margaret Palmer (Obrien) 26 Jul 1920 Female Mental Nurse Single 8 7

Note her occupation. Her name is written as Margaret O'Brien with the Patricia added later and Palmer being her married name.

This would appear to be her marriage:-

First name(s) Margaret P
Last name O'Brien
Marriage quarter 1
Marriage year 1941
Registration month -
MarriageFinder ™

Margaret P O'Brien married one of these people

Edward A Palmer

Spouse's last name Palmer
District Neath
District number -
County Glamorganshire
Country Wales
Volume 11A
Volume as transcribed 11A
Page number 1591
Record set England & Wales Marriages 1837-2005

HOWEVER - This would mean that her name was Palmer in 1953 so maybe NOT the person you are looking for.

Kath. x

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 May 2021 19:47

I’ve had a pm from Garrington. Margaret was his wife’s birth mother . She has added her name to the adoption register.

Such an awkward name to research. Margaret could have been born in England, Ireland or Scotland. I’m not sure that contacting everyone with this name on their tree will find her.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 May 2021 21:13

Is your wife's birth name in your tree? I think I see her birth in 1953 but I am not seeing that name in your tree.

Have you tried DNA testing?

Rose

Garrington

Garrington Report 3 May 2021 14:02

Hi Rose,
Yes she is in my tree and the birth was in in 1953. As yet we have not tried DNA testing but it is a future plan if no contacts are found on here.

Thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 May 2021 16:21

Garrington

Your wife is entitled to her adoption records that hopefully would give info

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 4 Oct 2021 21:02

Try - https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/nmc-online/ or
Search Results
Web result with site links

NHS Pensions | NHSBSAhttps://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk › nhs-pensions
NHS Pensions. We're responsible for administering the NHS Pension Scheme in England and Wales.