Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for advice on where else to search.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 7 Apr 2022 14:57

I am trying to trace an address for a relative still living. I have found her on the electoral register up until 2014 (on FMP) in Lewisham London. She never married. She is not in the BT phone directory. She is not a facebook user.

Where else can anyone suggest?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Apr 2022 15:03

Maybe she opted out of the public rolls

Have you checked to see if the address has been sold

Try writing and send a stamped address envelope for a reply

Maybe a neighbour too could say if still there or has moved and have can address

If she is very elderly could she have gone into residential

Julie

Julie Report 7 Apr 2022 15:20

Shirley, the address was/is likely a rental property.It certainly wasn't sold in 2014 or thereabouts, but was sold during the time she lived there. It had occurred to me that she may have gone into residential care, I suspect a number of care homes opt out of putting residents on the public electoral register.

I did half think about writing to the last address, but with a rental property the current tenants are not very likely to know where a former tenant went. I was hoping to get a more definite handle on an address before going down that route.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Apr 2022 15:32

How do you know she is alive?

Julie

Julie Report 7 Apr 2022 15:37

From another relative and because there is no death registration for her.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Apr 2022 15:39

Please say where you have looked for a death................

When did the 'other' relative last have contact?

Julie

Julie Report 7 Apr 2022 15:53

I've consulted the GRO index for a death before I tracked down the other relative. The other relative does know where she is, but is reluctant to give me the information without knowing why. As the why is connected with something they clearly don't know about, I'm reluctant to reveal all, I feel it would be better to write direct. then the matter can be kept between the lady concerned and me, unless she decides to make it known.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Apr 2022 16:09

Complicated...............

Can't the other person ask the individual whether she wishes to hear from you?

Julie

Julie Report 7 Apr 2022 16:21

Yes, it is complicated Erika - in theory they could, but again the why I want to contact her is the issue.

All this is why it would be so much easier if I could find a current address.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Apr 2022 17:12

If she has gone into residential care then it is more than likely in the same town as the address you had for her. There can't be that many care homes in the area. You could write to all of them (with a stamped, self-addressed envelope) and ask them to have the lady in question reply to you if she is in their care and if she wishes to. That way they don't have to give out information that would be against their rules.

Kath. x

Julie

Julie Report 7 Apr 2022 18:01

Kath, as we are talking Lewisham, London, there could be quite a few care homes in Lewisham, and the lady herself worked in the care sector in next door Greenwich, before even considering other London Boroughs that border this area. Not as straightforward as you suggest.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Apr 2022 13:57

You say she isn't on the ER, so you have no way of finding her address, other than from someone who knows where she is.

If you can't persuade that individual to ask the woman if you can be given her address, you're at a dead end

Presumably the reason for making contact is somehow detrimental to the person who knows the address? Hence the reluctance to co-operate................

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Apr 2022 16:36

The GRO index only shows deaths up to 2020.

But I agree - as you can't publicise her name, you're at a dead end.