Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Possible unknown sister in Liverpool

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Darrell

Darrell Report 15 Jul 2022 16:52

A long time ago, my Mother told me a story about my Father Oswald Gerard Hughes, who before he had died in the same week as I was born. I was born 14 September 1947; my Father died 4 days later. (As reported Mummified Body Found in Prayer. Manchester Evening News 6 November 1947)
The story goes; my parents lived in Stretford Manchester. Apparently, Father had an affair during the war years with a woman from Liverpool. Father was employed as a Draughtsman at Metropolitan-Vickers aircraft factory at Manchester and Liverpool. Working in Liverpool, Father was separated from home, weeks at a time. My Father loved ballroom dancing, and it’s one of these venues, it was probable he met a woman, to which he had an affair with.
I’m told my Father was a serious man, he suggested out of the blue to my Mother, ‘’how would you like a daughter’'. My Mother thought that this was a profound statement, and was more than surprised by this seemingly bizarre proposal. As she was recalling this story, there wasn’t any further discussion, only for her to sip a glass of Guinness in silence.
Given the perplexing circumstances of the period, and being a catholic family, I can only guess that my Father was trying to find a dutiful solution. Perhaps to raise a question of adoption, who knows.
I have no names, and no clues. There must be someone in the Liverpool area born in the 1940s, who is more than curious as to who their Father was. I have already given my DNA. Let’s hope one day I’ll find a match
From that day I always had suspicions I might have a sister, it would be sheer wonderful if it was found to be true. It would also be fantastic if someone from Liverpool could fill in the gaps of this intriguing story.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jul 2022 16:59

Welcome to Genes and the boards.

What a story. It is so extremely unlikely that this presumed sister anyone in the know would see your post.

As you have already done your dna I suggest that upload it to other companies in the hope that someone will eventually match.

Darrell

Darrell Report 16 Aug 2022 14:53

Hello, Thanks for your comment, Could you suggest what other companies that I could up-load to my DNA.
Regards.
HUGHES Darrell

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Aug 2022 15:15

If you test with Ancestry you can then upload to other companies but not the other way round. Costs maybe incurred.

So - others
Living dna and My Heritage are probably your next best choice. But Ancestry has the largest number on their books.

23 and me is the only one that’s offers y- dna which is the male line testing. Although Ancestry has a beta test which splits the parents into two but doesn’t tell you which is which.

Kense

Kense Report 23 Aug 2022 08:50

There is also GEDMATCH which is free and you can upload most types. However Google it first as there is a security issue, also it has been used for law enforcement.