Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FMP Newspaper articles lookup required

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kayak

Kayak Report 1 Nov 2022 11:16

Hi,

I know it's a big ask but I would be really grateful if someone with access to FMP Newspapers could forward me a copy of the following two articles that appear in the Newbury Weekly News and General Advertiser - Newbury Berkshire re: Mary King

11th July 1872 Borough Police Court Friday Befor... MARY KING WAS CALLED FOR THE DEFENCE BUT COMPLAINANT OBJECTED THAT SHE WAS NOT A WOMAN OF GOOD CHARACTER

12th February 1874 Borough Police Court Friday Afore... MARY KING, CHARWOMAN, WAS CHARGED WITH ROBBERY UNDER THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES

Kayak

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Nov 2022 15:20

QUARREL IN THE HAY FIELD. . George Rawlins was summoned for assaulting Mary Langfield, spinster, on the 13th June. The complainant said that on the day in question she went through Hanington's-yard, and defendant came out of her house and commenced to push her about. Did not give any provocation, but about a month ago a neighbour asked if witness was a widow, because Mrs. Giles said she wore a widow's cap. Witness .said she would summon anybody who said so. Mr. Masor.—But there is no harm in saying you are a widow. Witness—But it is taking taking away my character. They also called me a kept lady, and a methodist saint. I have no witnesses, though all the neighbours easy it. Mary King was called for the defence, but complainant objected that she was not a woman of good character. The witness replied that had nothing to do with it, and Mr. Mason said they could not go into a question of character now. The Bench said that the charge was not proved, and therefore the summons must be dismissed. They recommended them to live as good neighbours ., and bury all their differences.....

Published: Thursday 11 July 1872
Newspaper: Newbury Weekly News and General Advertiser
County: Berkshire, England

It's interesting to see that George Rawlins was also summoned for assaulting Charles New in the Hay Field on 3rd July - he admitted it .

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Nov 2022 15:24

Articles sent via PM

Bit early for living relatives :-)

Kayak

Kayak Report 1 Nov 2022 16:31

Many thanks to you both. I thought I'd posted it on the Find Ancestors Board, had a senior moment:-D