Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Noreen/Noleen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 7 Oct 2023 16:29

Hi,
I am helping a friend of mine that is trying to find a girl named Noreen/Noleen, unfortunately the both of us don't have her surname.

Noreen/Noleen had a partner named James Alexander Thomson he was born 1960 Galashiels, died 2017 in Edinburgh, James worked at the Kings Buildings in Edinburgh, Noleen/Noreen lived in the area of the Commonwealth Pool.

James had siblings Lesley, born 1955, Galashiels and Alan born about 1966, Edinburgh.

James's parents names were James Thomson and Eveline Wilson, he was a fireman, based at Lauriston Station, Marionville Station, until the family moved to Liberton, Edinburgh.

I know it is a long shot, I have tried including as much information as possible.

Ann Benson

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Oct 2023 17:12

Did they live together, if so Electoral rolls may be of help, if not then
You could plough through the ElectoralRolls for the Commonwealth Pool area looking for that first name.

Or contact his family and ask what her name was. But one has to wonder why your friend is looking for her.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Oct 2023 17:22

Unfortunately, there are lots of James Thomsons listed on the Edinburgh Electoral Rolls.

None of them has a Noreen/Noleen/Noeleen listed with him.

It might be worth buying a copy of his death cert, in case she was the informant.

THOMSON, JAMES ALEXANDER
mmn WILSON
M
734 / 606
Edinburgh, Central

Order from Scotlands People, for £12.

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Oct 2023 17:43

If they weren’t living together then it is, surely, more likely that family did the notification.
Hope I’m wrong as I wouldn’t fancy the searching of the ER, unless they know of an address or even a single road.

Ann

Ann Report 7 Oct 2023 17:45

They had their own property. I did look on James's death certificate, but it was someone else who found James. My friend has asked her living brother for information on Noleen/Noreen, but not giving anything. My friend last seen Noleen/Noreen at her brothers funeral.

Ann

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Oct 2023 17:48

Lesley married, and was on the 2020 ER for Dunfermline.

The property hasn't been sold since then, unless very recently.

You can find her birth on ScotlandsPeople, and then her marriage, so that you know her married surname.

Then find her on the Electoral Rolls, under "Search" at top right of this page.
Her husband is also listed with her, so you'll know when you've found the right one.

Click on the document symbol to the right of the search result to see the full address.

However, I assume by "living brother" you mean Alan.
If he's "not giving anything", is that because he doesn't know where Noreen is, or because he doesn't want your friend to know?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Oct 2023 18:01

The person in question may not wish to be ‘found’ and asked the brother to safeguard her privacy

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Oct 2023 18:11

“ they had their own property” suggests they were living together. Was she using his name or her own on the Electoral Roll?

Was there a newspaper obituary?

Does Scotland have the Land Registry? If so she might have owned a share in the property and be recorded under her own name.

Why is your friend looking for Noreen…?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Oct 2023 19:57

Property registers in Scotland:

https://www.ros.gov.uk/services/search-property-information

Ann

Ann Report 9 Oct 2023 19:47

I have contacted Alan via messenger, fingers crossed I get a reply. Jim’s partner was Noreen, they had separate accommodation. I know Lesley and her family, etc. Hopefully in time I will hear something. Even thought of posting a message on FB.

Ann

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Oct 2023 19:48

If we knew her surname, it would help!

Ann

Ann Report 9 Oct 2023 21:11

It would. Thanks everyone.

Ann

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Oct 2023 21:13

So you meant they Each had their own property.

If you know where Noreen/Noleen lived then I am back to you going through the Electoral Rolls to find someone with that first name.

As AG says, the surname would help, otherwise all we can do is point you in various directions so that you can look for yourself.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Oct 2023 22:56

There are quite a number of Noreens on the Edinburgh ER, in and around 2017.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Oct 2023 09:01

If Ann or her friend took a look at those things might fall into place.

Ann

Ann Report 10 Oct 2023 16:59

Will keep trying.

Ann