Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

18th Century Military Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frances

Frances Report 25 Sep 2013 10:17

Unlike the 19th military records there are not many 18th century ones online even on the National Archives for the U.K. at Kew.

They do however HAVE many of these records at the National Archives! Just not online.

You can either go and search yourself or pay someone to research them for you.
Actually when you add in costs of train fares, accommodation and then find you can't find your ancestor even after all that it doesn't cos that much to hire a researcher!

It cost me just £50 to have a researcher look through the 18th century records for the Royal Artillery. It's not an easy job because some records aren't filed much under names but under their service number which of course we don't know!
In spite of that my researcher was finally able to give me my ancestor's date and place of birth and names of places where he had served.

This has enabled me to have a search done at the church where he was christened and find the names of his parents and some of his siblings!

Names of children are not entered on 18th century military records as they are on the 19th century records.

So do go ahead and employ a researcher. It won't break the bank but may break down a brick wall or two!

France