Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Humphrey - Special Constable WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Eaj123 Report 3 Oct 2013 00:26

My grandfather, William Humphrey, was born 1871 in Chesham Buckinghamshire.

He joined the Royal Berkshire Regiment in 1886. I have his records for the Royal Berkshires.

During WW1 he was a Special Constable in Bovingdon or Chesham and in WW2 he was in "Dad's Army" in Bovingdon.

Are there any records for Special Constables and Dad's Army? I haven't been able to find any.




+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Oct 2013 11:29

You might find something for the Home Guard here

ADDED - on further reading, it would seem that the papers would have to be searched in person. Unless you have a friend/relative who could visit Kew, you'd need to hire a researcher


Eaj123 Report 3 Oct 2013 12:36


Thanks for the email address - I'll have to check it out tomorrow as it's computer shutting down time this end of the world. Pity that Kew is so far from Sydney Australia as I keep finding things I'd love to look up.

I've just joined the National Archives site but don't know if there is any help from them.

Many thanks for your interest.

Best wishes


was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 3 Oct 2013 16:05

The National Archives only has Home Guard records for Durham. For anywhere else, you'd need to apply to Glasgow for his records. They charge £30 and there's a long wait. Also, there is little information in the records


Porkie_Pie Report 3 Oct 2013 17:38

The address that Detective gave is a web address AKA a hyperlink not an Email address.

Just click on it to go to the web site


was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 3 Oct 2013 23:02

As I said in my post, the National Archives is no help in this instance anyway so it doesn't matter whether it's an email address or a link