Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Royal Naval Air Service

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 20 Oct 2013 20:46

Can anyone help me find out where my father Garth Duncan Haggart would have been stationed. His war records show he was a Probationary Flight Officer and I was told that he got his wings as a pilot. Would love to know where he was stationed for his training.

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 20 Oct 2013 21:51

Lee-on-Solent, Calshot, and Gosport - all had responsibility amongst other bases for training naval pilots in the First World War. In addition Kingsnorth and the Isle of Grain, both in Kent operated both seaplanes and airships.
If you obtain his service records you will be able to narrow it down - they will also tell you if he entered the Air Service directly or if he transferred from the Royal Navy itself or for that matter from the Army

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 20 Oct 2013 22:25

Have you got his RNAS and RAF records from the National Archives? They have both.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 21 Oct 2013 01:08

This looks like him,

Historical Records
British Postal Service Appointment Books, 1737-1969 about Garth Duncan Haggart
Name: Garth Duncan Haggart
Date Appointed: Jun 1917

He was a wireless operator at Acrington.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 21 Oct 2013 01:13

This is interesting,

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31692/pages/15624/page.pdf

Wendy

Wendy Report 21 Oct 2013 08:58

Many thanks for all your info.I can't thank you enough.