Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth father suspected to be in forigne legion

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

philip

philip Report 24 Oct 2013 09:20

Hello I'am stuggling to find any records of my birth father who was suspected to be in the forigne legion in the early 60's and 70's, His full name is said to have been Petra Hindmarch in and around this time , he is now formally know as Peter Hindmarch , I have traced down two Peter Hindmarch's on here and tired making contact with both parties and family members , I ' am very anxious to contact him and gather as much information as possible , If anyone could give me some advice on where to start my search with war related records I'd be ever so greatful.

Kind regaurds

Sarah Hindmarch :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Oct 2013 10:46

Welcome to the boards Sarah

Is Peter/Petra named on your BC? Does he have a middle name?

If so, what was his occupation (which might or might not be relevant) and when did you/your mother last have contact and where?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 24 Oct 2013 10:49

The Foreign Legion is a very secretive organisation and guaranteed anonymity to all who join so i doubt you will find any war related records with his name on.

I suspect his real name is Peter, ...Petra is the female aquivalant but he may have been called Petra by his Legion commrades because of the meaning of the name Petra is "stone, rock"

esprit de corps

Roy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Oct 2013 11:49

Is he aware of your existence?

philip

philip Report 25 Oct 2013 09:22

I've never been in contact with my birth father hence why I'am trying to find hin , I was unaware that the forigne legion was a secret anonymity and now bearing this in mind I'am at a loss what to do next , I appreciate all your points of view and especially you porkie-pie giving me the meaning of Petra , as I suspected it to be a female name to being with , very informative with the meaning though so thanks Roy , and thankyou to all for your words of wisdom . Many Thanks Sarah ... On with more digging I go , I shall find out his previous occupation and get back to you if thats okay ?? once again Thanks xx :-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Oct 2013 15:53

The French Foreign Legion guarantees anonymity and doesn't enquire too deeply into your past, but its activities are not as secret as they used to be.

There was a TV documentary series about it a few years ago and if you Google there are several chat boards to look at. Whether you could find out anything historical though is another matter. Personally, I doubt it, but you can always try. :-) :-) :-)

philip

philip Report 25 Oct 2013 19:20

Okay thanks very much Andysmum it's if anything worth a go , I really am trying to find my birth father , theres this part of me that isn't fulfilled without the truth and just to be able to put a face with the name might be all I need , if it's no fairytale which I'am not expecting or should I say I'am cutious , anyway less of me babbling on but just a quick question to anyone who can shed some light do you think looking him up on yell.com might be an avenue ?? And then maybe taking a trip to the apposed area or would that be stalker tendenses :-P :-0 :-) :-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Oct 2013 08:51

I see you are a Hindmarch so was he married to your mum if so their marriage cert may give you some clues .will give his age and fathers name hopefully