Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Uncle Ron's records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 2 Nov 2013 13:01

My husband's uncle RONALD WILLIAM WARREN b. 3 Jan 1912, d. 1981. He never married and lived in N. Tidworth, Wilts from a young child until his death.

In civvy street he was an electrician and OH believes Ron may have been in the REME. What he does recall is that he was with the 8th Army and that he drove trucks at some time. We have a photograph taken in a studio in Cairo. However the photo does not offer any clues. No cap/insignia.

We also have a photo of Ron and his father (who died 1943) who must have kept his WW1 uniform R.E. complete with forage cap and Ron - full battle dress, no insignia that I can see apart from the fact that his forage cap appears to be very dark and has a badge on the side of the cap. Unfortunately magnification does not help.

I am completely stuck as I cannot trace him without his service number/regt.

I would be extremely grateful for any help. Thank you

Potty

Potty Report 3 Nov 2013 13:29

Have you looked at this site which gives info on how to obtain Army records? I don't think you need the regiment or Army No:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 3 Nov 2013 16:46

Thank you - that is one I haven't tried.