Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RECORDS FOR THE BERWICKSHIRE MILITIA 1813

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Report 5 Nov 2013 17:43

MY GGG GRANDFATHER WAS IN THE BERWICKSHIRE MILITIA AS A SEAMAN IN 1813 ....FROM EDINBURGH?

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 5 Nov 2013 22:46

Where did you get the information from? Militia is Army, so not sure why he was a seaman??

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Report 6 Nov 2013 09:24

Annielaurie ...On his marriage (Edinb) 1813 was serving in the Berw. Militia but later on a death cert. ..down as an ordinary seaman ...??

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 6 Nov 2013 14:23

May have transferred service into the Royal Navy (people did then, as indeed they do now)

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 6 Nov 2013 16:46

Berwickshire Militia - They were formed as a response to the threat from Napoleon. The regimental diary and pay books are lodged at the National Archives (Kew)

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 6 Nov 2013 16:54

What was his name and do you mean that seaman was on his own death cert

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 27 Nov 2013 01:16

my ggggrandfather William Fisher was drafted out of his tailor shop and came to america in the war of1812 . he defected and stayed in new york. i would like to find the rest of the family in england.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 29 Nov 2013 18:07

Evelyn

Post your request for info ...including any family details etc. on the "Find Ancestors Board" posting on there you should get a wider reponse to your query