Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Find an Alias in the Army

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Miller

Miller Report 16 Nov 2013 23:34

My grandfather was in the Army under a Scottish name because he had an Italian name he was known as James Ramsay(Antonio Fusco) dob 1887 he had an older brother in the army but I don't know what he went in the Army under, his name was Dominic Fusco dob 1884 When his mother died in 1900 it says informant son Dominic, Aldershot. I have tried lots of guess's with family names but cant find him. My last resort is, will Antonio's brother be his next to kin on his Army paper work as there was only the 2 sons. Dominic was never heard of again. I have his birth certificate, his dad died in 1887 and he is not in any census since birth, His mum remarried in 1883, but she was living with her mum in 1891 census none of the boys were there and they were not mentioned anywhere else. 1901 Antonio 14 is with gran age 69 but no Dominic, surely when Antonio joined the Army, and I don't know this, if his gran was dead and we know his mum was dead Dominic would have been his next to kin, Antonio did not marry till 1912, and died in 1946 after staying in Army till 1920. How can I find Dominic. if he was his next to kin on paper work and he was in the Army also his name would be Dominic with the Army alias next to it so the Army knew who to contact in the Army. Antonio lived so the paperwork would not have been used or destroyed, but would somewhere have a copy record incase he was killed and not found (presumed dead) so if he had not returned would they not look up his copy papers and tell his next to kin being hopefully Dominic or Alias. been searching 15 years and still don't know what to look for. My grandfather was in the Scots Guards so presume Dominic was also. please help. war graves don't help as I don't know what he died under.

Thanks Helen

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Nov 2013 11:14

Where were they born and the location of the 1901 census would be useful

Where did Antonio marry ?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Nov 2013 11:15

Unfortunately over 60% of WW1 records, including those serving at the time or on the 'Reserve' list were lost during WW2 bombing.

On that basis, even if we knew what name he went by, there is no guarantee that his records survived.
Military records on Ancestry (and probably other sites) are only searchable by the Serviceman's name, not other names noted in the dossier.

if he was known by another name, he might have married under that in which case his wife would be next of kin

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Nov 2013 11:17

You could contact the Scots Guards Association or Museum and see if they could help?

Potty

Potty Report 17 Nov 2013 12:36

I know you said that Antonio was in the army under an Alias but could this be his medal card:

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
about Antonis Fusco

Name:Antonis Fusco
Regiment or Corps:Royal Scots
Regimental Number:38220

Potty

Potty Report 17 Nov 2013 12:39

Helen, do you have a tree on Ancestry and have you found this (there is no ref to it on the Ancestry tree)

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966
about Dominic Fusco

Name:Dominic Fusco
Probate Date:10 Sep 1962
Death Date:12 Jun 1962
Death Place:Edinburgh, Scotland

"Fusco Dominic of 9 Cowgate Edinburgh died 12 June 1962
Confirmation to Antonia Philomena Fusco or Pacetti
Sealed London 10 September"
Registry:
London, England

Edit~: Sorry, don't think that is your Dominic as the Find a Grave link from Ancestry gives a DOB of 1902.

Potty

Potty Report 17 Nov 2013 12:48

The medal card I posted above mentions that Antonio received the Silver War Badge. This is the record ( I have posted a correction for the surname):

UK, Silver War Badge Records, 1914-1920
about Antonie Tusco

Name:Antonie Tusco
Discharge Unit:Royal Scots.
Regiment Number:38220
Badge Number:325591
Unit:Infantry (Hamilton)
Piece:3031
List Number:DA 0001-0400
Record Group:WO
Record Class:329

Potty

Potty Report 17 Nov 2013 12:57

Antonio in 1901:

1901 Scotland Census
Name:Antoni Fisco
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1887
Relationship:Grandson
Where born:edinr, Edinburghshire
Registration number:685/3
Registration District:Canongate
Civil Parish:Edinburgh Iron Church
County:Midlothin
Address:2 Blackfriars St

Jane Caims 76
Antoni Fisco 14
Walter Cunnings 15

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 Nov 2013 15:34

Antonio /Fusco/
birth: 30 January 1887 Edinburgh, Scotland
death: 26 December 1946 Edinburgh, Scotland
marriage: 27 December 1912 Edinburgh, Scotland
father: Antonio Ferdinando /Fusco/
mother: Sarah *Cairns*/;Remarried after Antonios Death - to Samuel Greenan

Looks like its the correct one Potty...note maiden name of mother....