Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Arthur Banks. 65921 RD Corps

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pauline

Pauline Report 19 Nov 2013 20:24

I'm trying to find out more about my grandfather, Arthur Banks b.Feb 1893, Leeds. I know he was injured as he had a metal plate in his head. I also found something on the National Roll of the Great War which seems to match, but have been unable to find it again. My aunt in Canada said he had some medals but she didn't remember what for! My father once said something about my grandparents meeting when she nursed him, but there is nothing to indicate that she was a nurse.
Pauline

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Nov 2013 20:32

He also served in the Yorkshire Light Infantry,

You can download his medal card from the national archives it will cost £3.36 or ask for a look up on ancestry to see what medals he was awarded and if his service record survived

Reference:
WO 372/1/217517
Description:
Medal card of Banks, Arthur
Corps Regiment No Rank
Yorkshire Light Infantry 21106 Private
Royal Defence Corps 65921 Private

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D1152851

Roy

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Nov 2013 20:35

If his service record, pension record or medal card survive they will be on Ancestry but the website has just gone down

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Nov 2013 22:07

Can find no trace of a service or pension record.

Have sent the medal card but attachments thru GR have been playing up lately

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Nov 2013 22:44

The Royal Defence Corps was formed in August 1917 and consisted of soldiers either too old or medically unfit for active front-line service,

From what you said with ref to him being injured as he had a metal plate in his head i would think that his injuries where due to his service in the Yorkshire Light Infantry possibly/probably whilst on front line duty then once he had recovered enough he was transfered to the Royal Defence Corps

Roy

Pauline

Pauline Report 20 Nov 2013 17:27

Thanks a lot. I had got the RDC number off the marriage certificate, and had no idea about him serving with the Yorkshire Light Infantry. I won't be able to download the medal record as I live in Italy and it will cost me twice as much to use the credit card, so will have to see next time I'm in UK if someone will do it for me! Thanks again. Pauline

Pauline

Pauline Report 20 Nov 2013 17:45

Have received the medal card from Glitter Baby, and am very grateful for the help from both of you. Pauline