Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military Hospital, Little Harley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Nov 2013 08:03

I wonder whether anyone would tell me where Little Harley is, please?

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 26 Nov 2013 09:34

Well Harley is up close to Rotherham, never heard of Little Harley

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Nov 2013 12:21

If this is WW1 - there is a whole list of hospitals on this link

http://www.1914-1918.net/hospitals_uk.htm

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Nov 2013 19:20

Thank you detective. I'll try the link.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Nov 2013 19:21

OOps, just thought - you gave 1914 and this death took place in 1887 at the Military Hospital, Little Harley.

jax

jax Report 28 Nov 2013 00:00

As you have not said what part of the country this is...if he died in England or wales you should find the death on freebmd

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

If it was Essex?? could it have been Little Warley?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 28 Nov 2013 19:02

Jax, I have the date of his death it was the place that was unidentifiable. I'll try Little Warley now. Thanks.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 28 Nov 2013 19:14

I think it ought to have read Little Warley He died of dysentery in the Military Hospital there.

jax

jax Report 28 Nov 2013 20:20

What was his name and age and when did he die?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 2 Dec 2013 07:48

Hi Jax,

Are you a military historian?

The following information is what you've asked about.

Arthur Mann LINGE
b 3 July 1866 at Mayland, Essex
(son of Susan Linge)

d 11 May 1887 at the Military Hospital, Little Warley (as I now know, not Harley)

I believe that a photo in my possession is of Arthur. I struggled to identify the soldier but the Army Museum picked up several aspects of his uniform and identified the decade of it. From their information I was able to pin a name to the photograph.

Interestingly, I have several old family photos - back as far as the late 1800s and early 1900s - all unidentified but not another one of a military man.

jax

jax Report 2 Dec 2013 13:04

No sorry I am not a military historian...I just know Little Warley I have family that live in the area and also they have had long dealings with the Army there...may just be the TA now though....sister in law married in the Army chapel.

Strangely enough I was looking into one of my ancestors WW1 deaths the other day and he enlisted at Warley for the Northumberland Fusiliers which I found odd...but he had been in the Essex regiment and transferred to them for some reason

I take it this is his death...although slightly out

Deaths Jun 1887 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linge Arthur 19 Billericay 4a 176

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 2 Dec 2013 19:22

I think that will be his death, Jax. - second quarter of 1887 seems right as 11 May fits nicely into that period.

His mother and stepfather could have been living in the Billericay area then (I shall check).

jax

jax Report 2 Dec 2013 19:29

Quite a bit of Brentwood (where Warley is) came under Billericay back then...

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Dec 2013 01:07

Thanks, Jax.

You mention that one of your relatives had transferred to the Northumberland Fusiliers from the Essex Regiment. I had an uncle who was put in the Fife & Forfar ... during WW2 - he was born and brought up in Liverpool. I was told that men are put into regiments where heavy losses had occurred in order to replenish the numbers.

Don't know whether that occurred during every war though.

jax

jax Report 3 Dec 2013 01:31

According to this mans records he transferred well before the war started but ended up getting killed two weeks into the war :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Dec 2013 12:08

Oh dear!

This particular uncle died in July 1945 in Germany.

What a sad time - and it's still going on!