Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army Pensioners?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lawrence

Lawrence Report 27 Nov 2013 23:58

My grandfather, according to his death record in 1945, was an Army Pensioner; rumour has it he had been gassed in WW1, would have been 20 when that one broke out. Are Army Pension records stored anywhere in particular?

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 28 Nov 2013 09:36

If he only served in WW1, surviving Army service records are on Ancestry - lots haven't survived, though. What was his name?

If he served after WW1 then his Army records will still be with the MOD, although you can apply for them.

Lawrence

Lawrence Report 6 Dec 2013 21:51

Hi. plain ann now annielaurie. I have yet to try Ancestry. His name was Charles McKenna 1894-1945; I'm wondering if Army Pension Records were kept in a different location than service records, particularly if his wife continued to receive the benefits after his passing?

Thank you

Potty

Potty Report 7 Dec 2013 12:04

Lawrence, WW1 Pension records are also on Ancestry. That is the only place they can be viewed on line.

Potty

Potty Report 7 Dec 2013 12:22

If he was gassed and invalided out of the Army, he should have been given the Silver War Badge. There are several Cha* McKennas in the records on Ancestry.

I can never get them to come up doing an ordinary search on Ancestry, but this link will take you directly to them:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2456

Potty

Potty Report 7 Dec 2013 12:37

When looking at images for the Silver War badge, if the name doesn't come up on the image, go back and forwards through the images to see if it appears on another image. I have just looked for a Charles McKenna who was in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders and he doesn't appear on the image that is attached to the record but does come up on the previous page. I have reported the error to Ancestry.