Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Artillery Service

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cyndy

Cyndy Report 28 Nov 2013 00:44

I am seeking information on James william Hannan who served in the Royal Artillery for 24 years until 1835 . He served in Spain and the Americas and at some point he married but I have been unable to find any information about his marriage. This could have happened in America but I am unsure how to find this information as I do not know when or where he was in America. If I could find this out it would really assist me to go further with my family history but without this I am stuck.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 28 Nov 2013 09:33

Do you have his discharge papers from FMP?

You can also search for a marriage in the Army marriage records on FMP but they are by no means complete.

To find out when he served in America you HAVE to know the unit of the Royal Artillery he was serving with at the time - not necessarily the same one he was discharged from or first enlisted to.

There are also a couple of entries for who I assume is him, in the National Archives Catalogue . Not online, though, you'd need to go there or get someone to go for you.

Statements of Service, Royal Artillery 9 Battalion Numbers 324 to 650.

This entry appears on opening 342; this number is imprinted at the top right of each opening.

Soldier's Number 649: James HANNAN. Born Portsmouth, Hampshire. Enlisted 1808 aged 15 years. Discharged 1835. Discharge reason: Pension.

George, a child of James HANNAN of Royal Artillery and Mary, was baptised on 14 June 1829 at St Bridget Parish. Note: Born 20 May 1829.

Adeline

Adeline Report 28 Nov 2013 10:36

The FMP images deal mainly with the reason for his discharge which was chronic rheumatism.

He served 5 years and 7 months in Spain and 7 years and 2 months in America. The remainder of his service was "at home" which at that time included Dublin so he could have married there. A drummer when he first joined the army, he became a gunner and driver. He was a shoemaker by trade.

Cyndy

Cyndy Report 1 Dec 2013 05:12

Hi Adeline

Thanks so much but I already have this information. My biggest problem is trying to find a marriage so I can find the name of Mary, his wife. You have shed light for me on his son George because I had not seen this one. I have been advised to contact the Royal Artillery Museum in UK, so I will do that. Thanks so much for your effort.
I will be in UK in 2014, so I may just have to do more then.
Regards
Cyndy