Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

sidney ernest oakley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Richard

Richard Report 8 Dec 2013 20:20

Hi,to you all out there
Can anyone help me find what regament my Grandad was in.i tried different sites but could`nt find anything,his full name was Sidney Ernest Oakley born 27 Nov 1907 District Paddington.His mum and dad was Fredrick William Oakley and Jane Oakley Formerly Piggott.The photo ive got tells me he was at Furfeld-camp Germany 1927 please can you help me.
many Thanks
Richard

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 8 Dec 2013 23:03

Hi, was he still in the army when he married? If he was he may have put his regiment and service number as his occupation.

Richard

Richard Report 9 Dec 2013 11:27

Thanks for that,yes he must of been married as dad was born in 1930.

Potty

Potty Report 9 Dec 2013 12:51

This site gives info on how to obtain Army Records:

http://www.army.mod.uk/welfare-support/23212.aspx

I think only the soldier himself or next of kin can apply. There is a charge (£30?) and it can take months to get the record.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 10 Dec 2013 08:48

So is this his marriage,

Name: Sidney E Oakley
Spouse Surname: Weston
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1929
Registration District: Tetbury
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume Number: 6a
Page Number: 1076
Find Spouse: Lily M H Weston

Seems along way from home, is this because he was near his army base? Hopefully this would give you the info needed. :-D

Richard

Richard Report 10 Dec 2013 09:44

Thanks thats great i`ll have to send for it,thank you so much.

Richard

Richard Report 25 Feb 2014 15:50

Well i got the marriage certificate today and still no joy.rank or profession,Motor Driver.doe`nt tell me much,thanks anyway. rich

Potty

Potty Report 26 Feb 2014 11:42

You could still try to get his service record, using the link I gave. I don't think you need his regiment or service number but you would need his death cert.

Given the occupation on the cert, and assuming he was still in the Army, I would guess that he was in the Royal Army Service Corps (RASC). My father's occupation on my birth cert is given as Driver and he was in that Regiment.

It is possible that he also served in WW2. My father was about the same age and was in the Army in the 1920s (he also served in Germany) but was called up in the 2nd WW as he was a Reservist.

Richard

Richard Report 27 Feb 2014 17:29

Thank you for that,that is the regiment i`ve been looking at alot but can`t seem to find any info on him. i`ve got a early photo of him but can`t find out how to put it on here.
many thanks
rich

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Feb 2014 18:08

Richard, Please remove your email address, Its against GR's guidelines and your post could be reported for review

You will NOT find any army service records on any site for soldiers who served in the 1920's or later, They are still held by the MOD,

You can apply for them,.... see the link below

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Roy

Richard

Richard Report 28 Feb 2014 17:42

Thanks for that i didd`nt know,i`ve removed it now.
Many thanks
rich

Richard

Richard Report 21 Dec 2014 23:06

Hi it`s been a long time since I`ve been on here,I`ve still had no luck finding out about my gramp,just thought I`d have another go incase there was anyone who hadn't seen it yet. :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Dec 2014 16:10

Have you applied for his service records?

As has been said previously THEY ARE NOT ONLINE. They are with the MOD. Nothing has changed in that respect since you started this thread.

Sorry, but that's the truth of it.