Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Albert Salt - Further Information

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 15 Dec 2013 14:48

From research I have found :- A. Salt
Before transfer to RAF from RNAS or RFC.
Rank - A. Mech. Trade - Asst.ARMR - Private
Service No. 122151 Service from 24.1. 1918

Does anyone know whether I would be able to find a date of birth and/or where he enlisted and when he left from any records that are currently available. I am not on ancestry and these records are not available on Find My Past.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 15 Dec 2013 15:06

Hi, when and where was he born?

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 15 Dec 2013 15:14

There's this at The National Archives,

Reference:AIR 79/1093/122151 Description:
Name: Albert Salt.

Date: [1918-1928] Held by: The National Archives, Kew Legal status: Public Record Language: English Access conditions: Open Immediately

It states you can look at this free there, can't see an option to download it though.

Christine

Christine Report 15 Dec 2013 15:24

Thank you. I have requested a copy from The National Archives. Albert is a complete mystery to me but if I am after the right person he was born Albert Edward in Hanley on 20.01.1900 to Selina and Herbert.

Christine

Christine Report 18 Dec 2013 08:35

Have not yet heard from the archives with the estimate for the copy. Does anyone know what information is contained? is it a full record of their military service or just a copy of the page?

Gee

Gee Report 18 Dec 2013 13:30

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906

Name:Albert Edward Salt

Birth Date:20 Jan 1900

Christening Date:21 Feb 1900

Christening Place:Northwood, Staffordshire, England

Age at Christening:0

Father's Name:Herbert Salt

Mother's Name:Selina

Added:

Births Mar 1900

Salt Albert Edward Stoke T. 6b 192

Christine

Christine Report 18 Dec 2013 15:42

Thank you Gins,
I have seen that information, but is the RAF record that of the same person?
Judging by the d.o.b. and date of enlistment it very well might be. I. Am hoping his service record might tell me where he was in 1926.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 18 Dec 2013 18:33

Not a lot of information, usually, I'm afraid, on the AIR79 records.

Christine

Christine Report 28 Jan 2014 18:51

Having now received the AIR79 records it is definitely not the Albert Salt that is the son of Herbert and Selina Salt. Obviously I can't rule him out definitely from my research but think it unlikely that he is my grandfather.
However from the records I have received he was born in 1886 doesn't say where but his next of kin is NELLIE SALT residing at 29 Trent Terrace, Hanley, Staffordshire. They were married in what looks like Cobridge on 18.06.1910 and it records the birth of a daughter VERA MARY SALT born in Hanley on 22.06.1913. Further research records mothers maiden name as GEE. From marriage records I find Nellie is ELEANOR LUCY GEE. His civilian occupation is recorded as a guillotine cutter in a paper manufacturers.
If any of the above is familiar to you and in your tree please let me know