Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Edward

Edward Report 6 Jan 2014 02:30

I would be interested to know if anyone else has fathers etc who served in the Ox and Bucks 7th Battalion and previous to this, the Slough contingent of the territorials.
Edward Poole

Magpie

Magpie Report 8 Jan 2014 17:51

My Grandfather was in the Ox and Bucks during the first world war. Unfortunately I don't know which battalion. As I have only just joined these boards I am hopeful that I shall be able to do some research and find out more about his time in this field. I do know that he was in France in 1915 as a private soldier, and that he was in Dublin in 1919(?!) He was commissioned in 1917 (I think) and was de-commissioned in 1919 with the rank of Lt. I don't know anymore than this.
Magpie

Potty

Potty Report 9 Jan 2014 14:15

You might find WW1 service records for non-officers on the Ancestry site (the only place online where they can be viewed). Only about 30% survive though. Medal cards can also be found there or on the National Archives site.

This link will explain what records for officers are at the National Archives and how to search for them:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/officerbritisharmyafter1913.htm

Magpie

Magpie Report 9 Jan 2014 16:08

Thanks Potty for this info. My Grandfather's surname was Lane!!!! There seem to be an awful lot of them, but I shall persevere!!

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 9 Jan 2014 16:11

What was his first name (s)?

Magpie

Magpie Report 9 Jan 2014 16:16

Bingo I've found him!! His first name is John(!) middle name Howard. Potty, you're a star!