Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Submarines

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 19 Jan 2014 12:01

My Grandfather, Arthur J Manuell, Served on HMS Maidstone ,1/8/1914, to ,25/4/1915,
HMS Dolphin ,21/11/1915, to, 25/6/1916 , then HMS Titania, 26/6/1916, to, 24/3/1919 . He then went on to HMS Platypus and took, J 5 ,Submarine ,to Australia ,25/3/1919,to 13/1/1921.
I would love to know what other Submarines he went on, is there any way i can find out . Thankyou for any help .
John Suckling

Potty

Potty Report 19 Jan 2014 12:48

This could be his Navy Record, from the National Archives. Will cost £3.36 to download;

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/royal-naval-seamen.htm

Name Manuell, Arthur James. Official Number: J2906. Place of Birth: Portsmouth, Hampshire. Date of Birth: ...

Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services. Seamen. Name Manuell, Arthur James. Official Number: J2906. Place of Birth: Portsmouth, Hampshire. Date of Birth: 04 April 1893.
Collection: Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
Date range:1908
Reference:ADM 188/652/2906
Subjects:Armed Forces (General) | Navy

John

John Report 19 Jan 2014 13:09

Thank you for the information Potty.
I have his service record, hence the ships he served on.HMS Maidstone and
HMS Titania were Depot ship for subs , i am trying to find the subs he served on maybe D or E class, John

Jane

Jane Report 22 Jan 2014 07:13

Hi John

My husband suggested that you contact the Royal Navy Submarine museum in Gosport. He said they are very helpful there and may be able to point you in the right direction. This is the address: Haslar Rd, Gosport, Hants PO12 2AS.

TEl. 023 9251 0354

Or you could try contacting them via their website.

Jane