Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military Deaths pre World War 1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 26 Jan 2014 13:25

I've been searching for information on my Great Grandfather, George William Taylor for several years. I know that he was married at the age of 24, on 5th July 1897, to Paulina Porter Hutchinson at the church of St Saviour in Clarborough, East Retford. Other information that I have from his marriage certificate include his father's name, Joseph and his residence at Spital Hill. His profession is recorded as Moulder so it's possible that he worked at a Foundry. Unfortunately, despite having all this information, I can't seem to get any further. Older family members think that he joined the Army, possibly the Sherwood Foresters, and was killed, possibly in a conflict before the 1st World War. George William Taylor is a very common name but you would think that there is enough information to find a military record somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Jan 2014 15:39

Have you found him or his wife on 1901 or 1911 census

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Jan 2014 16:52

So Paulina is on 1911 census with Samuel Blower and they possibly married in 1919

1901 listed as married

David

David Report 26 Jan 2014 18:22

Hi GlitterBaby and thanks for your quick reply.

Paulina can be found in the 1901 census, together with her son (my Grandfather) William Henry. As you mentioned, she is listed as married but there is no mention of George William who was probably away from home serving in the Army.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Jan 2014 18:57

On the 1911 census Paulina is described as "widow" which is then crossed out and "single" written above.

Kath. x

David

David Report 26 Jan 2014 19:01

Thanks Kath, I wonder if George was missing presumed dead. In those circumstances Paulina was probably unsure of her status.

Potty

Potty Report 28 Jan 2014 12:28

1901 was the time of the Second Boer War - this site says it has Boer War records.

Potty

Potty Report 28 Jan 2014 12:34

Findmypast has 3 records for a George W Taylor in their Boer War records (probably the same records as on this site):

Taylor G W 5030 The Princess Of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment) VIEW
Taylor G W 4381 8th (King's Royal Irish) Hussars VIEW
Taylor G W 8772 The Lancashire Fusiliers VIEW

Potty

Potty Report 28 Jan 2014 12:38

This George is Chelsea Barracks:

1901 England Census
George Taylor
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1878
Birth Place:
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England
Civil Parish:St George Hanover Square
County/Island:London

David

David Report 28 Jan 2014 18:51

Hi Potty and thanks for your input. I've taken a month's subscription to Forces War Records, which I've searched thoroughly. Unfortunately there are quite a few George Taylor's and many of the records are name only, so not much help. George could have been killed in the first World War and I understand that a significant number of first World War records were destroyed in the second World War. The search goes on.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Jan 2014 22:35

If he married or had children whilst serving in the army then it's possible those certs may contain some regimental details under column 6 occupation, Some gave more detail than just saying soldier.

Rank, number, company, battalion, regiment

any of the above should narrow the search.

plus armed with the above it would then be possible to check the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site to see if he is listed as died in WW1

http://www.cwgc.org/

Roy

David

David Report 29 Jan 2014 20:04

Thanks Roy, I wondered if I might get more information from his son's birth certificate so I ordered a copy on Monday. It would be great if his service number was on there.