Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

war record albert stevenson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deirdre

Deirdre Report 13 Mar 2014 18:43

can anyone help me to see if theres a record for Albert Stevenson on his marriage cert its got driver 21672 R.8 he was born c1894. he married in stoke-on-trent.

I wondered if any one on here has acess to ancestry as i dont to look this up for me?a kind person found his record and said look on there but i cant Regards Dee

Hes medal card thanks

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 13 Mar 2014 19:57

His medal card from the national archives

WO 372/19/47307
Description:
Medal card of Stevenson, Albert
Corps Regiment No Rank
Royal Engineers 21672 Driver
Date: 1914-1920
Held by: The National Archives, Kew

You can check this on ancestry to see what medals he was awarded and also see if his service records survived

abt 60/70% where distroyed in WW2

Where was he born?

Roy

Deirdre

Deirdre Report 13 Mar 2014 20:21

thank you Roy. would check on ancestry but not a member of that site as it gets costly so stuck with genes. I dont really no where he was born, as cant find him he married in 1918 in stoke-on-trent staffs and was a miner but where he came from before i am yet to find. Have looked on census for staffs but havent found him he said on marriage cert his father was also albert and a blacksmith but still cant find him
Regards Dee

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Mar 2014 23:47

Could this be Albert in the 1911 census? I realise that his father's occupation is different but people did change jobs more than we think:-

1911 census transcription details for: 19 Villa St Stoke-Upon Trent

National Archive Reference:
RG14PN16566 RG78PN1023 RD361 SD2 ED18 SN150
Reg. District: Stoke upon Trent
Sub District: Stoke upon Trent
Parish: Stoke upon Trent
Enum. District: 18

Address: 19 Villa St Stoke-Upon Trent
County: Staffordshire

Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married Sex Age Birth Year Occupation Where Born

STEVENSON, Albert Head Married M 52 1859 Fish Sales Man Boothen Stoke on Trent Staffs
STEVENSON, Florence Wife Married
22 years F 41 1870 Stafford
STEVENSON, Albert Son Single M 17 1894 Coal Miner Labourer- Under Ground Newton Lancashire<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
STEVENSON, Janet Daughter Single F 13 1898 At School Boothen Stoke on Trent Staffs
STEVENSON, Martha Daughter F 9 1902 At School Boothen Stoke Staffs

In the 1901 census the father of this family was a miner so changed jobs between 1901 and 1911 so could easily have changed jobs again by the time of his son's marriage in 1918.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Mar 2014 23:52

Looking at his marriage and births from that marriage it would seem that the family above in the 1911 census could be the right one as he called one of his daughters Florence (after his mother perhaps) and one Agnes (perhaps after his sister).

Seems this Albert was born in Newton, Lancashire.

Possible birth for him:-

Name: STEVENSON, Albert
Registration district: Warrington
County: Lancashire
Year of registration: 1894
Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Mother's maiden name: Not available before 1911 Q3
Volume no: 8C
Page no: 206

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Mar 2014 23:58

This was the above Albert's parents (living in Newton in Makerfield which is in Warrington Registration District) in the 1891 census before his birth in 1894:-

1891 census transcription details for: 23, Lawrence Street, Newton In Makerfield, Earlestown

National Archive Reference:
RG number: RG12
Piece: 3069
Folio: 113
Page: 25
Reg. District: Warrington
Sub District: Newton in Makerfield
Parish: Newton in Makerfield
Enum. District: 4
Ecclesiastical District: St Johns
City/Municipal Borough:

Address: 23, Lawrence Street, Newton In Makerfield, Earlestown
County: Lancashire

Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth Year Occupation , Disability Where Born

STEVENSON, Albert Head Married M 32 1859 Coal Pit Sinker
Stoke, Staffordshire
STEVENSON, Florence Wife Married F 25 1866
Stafford, Staffordshire
STEVENSON, Florence Daughter F 5 1886
Stoke, Staffordshire

Kath. x

Deirdre

Deirdre Report 14 Mar 2014 10:26

hope you didnt mind sent reply straight to you instead of on here forgot this bit
Dee x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Mar 2014 13:50

That's o.k. Dee. I do think this family are likely to be the one you are looking for - but just gut instinct, so would need checking.

Kath. x

Potty

Potty Report 14 Mar 2014 15:11

Deirdre, you can also download the medal card from the National Archives site, costs about £3.50 but it won't give you any more info than that he received the Victory, British and 14 Star medals.