Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

wwi service record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

christine

christine Report 9 Apr 2014 19:06

Looking for paternal grandfathers royal navy records he was a sba and served on the ship hms nelson.
His date of birth 5/2/1895
Name alfred george james king :-) :-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 9 Apr 2014 21:02

Looks like him on the medal roll.

UK, Naval Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1972

Name: Alfred G J King
Medal or Award: Star, Victory Medal, British War Medal
Service Year: 1914-1920
Service Location: Europe
Campaign or Service: World War I
Service number: M 5697

On the image his rank/rating is given as S.B.A

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 9 Apr 2014 21:08

The National Archives have some sort of record for him, which you can download for £3.30, but I have no idea what information, how much or how little, you would get.

EDIT: You can preview an intentionally distorted version of the record by clicking on the 'preview this record tab'. There appears to be one full sheet of information,
but if you check it for yourself it will give you some idea of what you'll get for your money

I found it in the following collection/heading:

Royal Navy ratings' service records 1853-1923

URL for access to the record is below

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D7041930

Name King, Alfred George James. Official Number: M5697. Place of Birth: Stepney, London. Date of ...

Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services. Miscellaneous. Name King, Alfred George James. Official Number: M5697. Place of Birth: Stepney, London. Date of Birth: 02 February 1895.

Collection:Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodiesDate range: 1913 Reference:ADM 188/1029/5697Subjects:Armed Forces (General) | Navy

EDIT: What the records MIGHT include, emphasis on MIGHT.

What information do the records contain?
The information in these records can include:
year of birth (you might also find the day and month)
town and country of birth
names of ships served on, with dates of joining and discharge from each ship
period of time actually served
any engagements not completed and the reason for this
service numbers - known as continuous service (CS) numbers up to 1872, and official numbers (ON) from 1873 onwards
From 1892 you can find greater detail in the records, including:
occupation
badges issued (if any)
notes made about character and ability
physical appearance, such as hair and eye colour, height and tattoos
wounds suffered (if any)
date of death (if occurred in service)
you may also find a cross reference to the 'new register'. This will be to one of the Continuation books in ADM 188/83-90.
The continuous service engagement books, from series ADM 139, may also reveal:
details of any service in the merchant navy
official numbers (which can be traced to records of service in the later registers of seamen's services)
The registers of seamen's services, from series ADM 188, may also reveal:
continuous service numbers (which can be traced to records of service in the earlier continuous engagement books)
service records of men who served in the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS), mainly during the First World War, denoted by service numbers prefixed with the letter 'F'
From January 1894 service numbers were assigned according to a rating's branch of service. Consult the table below to find which sets of service numbers were assigned to the respective branches of service:

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 10 Apr 2014 12:57

Hello Christine and welcome to the Community Board.

Note. I will let Christine know that she has replies to her query..... :-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 10 Apr 2014 16:28

Thanks, Cynthia :-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Apr 2014 15:11

HMS Nelson is also the name of a shore base in Portsmouth area.

christine

christine Report 12 Apr 2014 18:57

Thankyou for your reply, I have found my grandfathers service record (after a suggestion from another member,It seems he was shore based at pembroke,chatham,and thanks to you i now know hms nelson .
Regards Christine :-)

christine

Thankyou for your reply, I have found my grandfathers service record (after a suggestion from another member,It seems he was shore based at pembroke,chatham,and thanks to you i now know hms nelson .

christine