Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Merchant Seaman

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Haribo

Haribo Report 30 Apr 2014 09:42

Please could anybody look up my great uncle Patrick Cremen/Cremin born in Cork City 1896 please. I have recently learned that he was a Merchant Seaman, would love to know what is on his records. Many Thanks.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 30 Apr 2014 19:45

First Name PATRICK
Last Name Cremin
Year Of Birth 1896
Birth Month May
Birth Day 20
Birth Place Cork
Birth County Cork
Age -
Place CORK
Date Range 1918-1921
Discharge Number 917057
Identity Certificate Number 874477
Piece Number -
Card Type CR10
Series BT350
Category Education & work
Record collection Merchant navy & maritime
Collections from Great Britain

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 30 Apr 2014 19:48

I've pmed you his merchant seaman's card which has a photo.

I've edited this post to delete records pertaining to a Patrick Cronin, that I had posted before realising it was the wrong name (I'd been flexible in the search, as two spellings, Cremen and Cremin had been given)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 30 Apr 2014 20:28

The National Archives have his medal roll card available to download for £3.30, not sure if the info is available elsehere or not, as he's merchant navy:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/image/Index/D7998122?index=1&page=0

Medal Card of Cremin, Patrick Place of Birth: Cork Date of Birth: 1896
[1914-1925] Reference: BT 351/1/30605
Details Browse by Hierarchy Browse by Reference Preview this recordStart new search
Description
Medal Card of Cremin, Patrick Place of Birth: Cork Date of Birth: 1896

Haribo

Haribo Report 30 Apr 2014 22:49

Thank you so much Kucinta, am thrilled to his image, he looks so much like my father (patrick's he's uncle)

Haribo

Haribo Report 4 May 2014 23:09

Kucinta or anyone else who may know, If i down load his medal roll card for £3.30, do you know what information is on it ? will there be anything else on it other than what yoou have listed. Thank You.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 4 May 2014 23:20

If you go to the page I listed, there is a 'preview this record' tab that you can click on to see how much you get.

It's just one page (intentionally distorted so you have to pay to read it) but it gives you some idea of what you get.

I doubt you'd get any more than you know already, but see what you think (and see the bit about' what's on the index card?' below). looking at the preview images, there doesn't appear to be anything on the reverse of the index card.

His record is in BT 351/1

----------------

"What information do the records contain?

Index cards

The index cards, in BT 351/1/1 and BT 351/1/2, provide the following information:

name

place of birth

year of birth

medals, ribbons and clasps issued (a date next to any of these indicates that the award was issued)

the mercantile marine office ('M.M.O.') to which the medals were sent (in some instances a home address may be noted in this section)

discharge/RS2 number(s)

Ribbons were issued in lieu of medals until the medals were minted. Clasps were awarded for taking part in a particular battle or action.

The reverse of the card contains the date the award(s) were confirmed and the address to which the medals and ribbons were sent.

Occasionally a card will confirm that the seaman did not receive any medals. In these cases it is most likely that the merchant seaman did not fulfil the necessary criteria needed in order to be issued with a medal."

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/image/Index/D7998122?index=1&page=0

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 4 May 2014 23:27

This seems to be the medal that would have been awarded:

Mercantile Marine War Medal

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/ww1-campaign-medals.htm#mercantilemedal

Haribo

Haribo Report 7 May 2014 22:21

Thanks again Kucinta

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 May 2014 08:41

Found a medal roll on Ancestry:

UK, Naval Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1972
Name: Patrick Cremin
Medal or Award: Victory Medal, British War Medal
Service Year: 1914-1920
Service Location: Europe
Campaign or Service: World War I
Service number: 917057

Have sent the image (which is a list) to Haribo.

Haribo

Haribo Report 8 May 2014 22:06

Thanks a million MarieCeleste, you are very kind.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 27 Jun 2014 08:06

Hello Mary, I've noticed you've tagged this request onto a couple of other people's threads on this board.

You really need to start a thread of your own so that your request is seen as a new one and people will try to help.

If you go to the top of the front page on this board there's a link "Add Topic" just click on that then you can start your own request.

Good luck!

Mary

Mary Report 27 Jun 2014 13:24

Hello Maria Celeste Thanks for advice do you want me to delete both entries ?
If so when it says " will delete all thread" does that mean just my entry ?

Regards

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 27 Jun 2014 16:31

Hi Mary, you don't have to delete it but you can if you wish. Don't worry, you can only delete your own posts and not other peoples.