Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

American war of Independence

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

harbour

harbour Report 13 Jul 2014 05:39

I have an English ancestor who was a british Captain in the above war,who died in 1776 in New York. His name was Captain John Ridley. How would I go about researching . I live in Australia.
regards Darryl

patchem

patchem Report 13 Jul 2014 07:43

Could you explain what you are trying to research - is it his place in history within the American war? Or his family in England?

(Most of us start by googling)

Thank-you

harbour

harbour Report 13 Jul 2014 08:09

I would like to research his military records from England regarding his career
thanks

patchem

patchem Report 13 Jul 2014 09:03

You have not said where you have already looked.

This looks like an obvious starting point:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/american-revolution.htm

harbour

harbour Report 13 Jul 2014 09:24

thanks I will start there

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Jul 2014 10:26

There's quite a bit about the Ridleys on the internet, they were a well known family in the North East of England. I believe there are some collections at the Northumberland Archives at Woodhorn, might be worth dropping them an email [email protected]

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Jul 2014 10:33

Also some articles in the British Newspaper Archives, one pertaining to his death:

Lately, at New York, in America, of a putrid fever, Capt. John Ridley, of the 28th regiment, son of Matthew Ridley, of Heaton, Esq

from Newcastle Courant dated 08 March 1777

There appear to be a few military mentions too.

harbour

harbour Report 13 Jul 2014 12:01

thank you for your help

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Jul 2014 18:26

Quite a lot of info here:

http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=155-zri&cid=-1#-1