Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

military records for Robert Thomas Saul ww1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

amy

amy Report 21 Jul 2014 13:06

hello im trying to find any military records for Robert Thomas Saul born 1888 preston, lancs. We have 2 off his medals which are just 2 standard campaign medals, one silver and one gold in colour from first world war. The medals were sent to his sisters address 69 Oxford Grove, Bolton. Which was where he was living prior to being in the army. All we know from family is that he was 2nd left leutant in the infantry and that he apparently was gassed in the war. He died not long after. Any help would be grateful,
Amy

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 21 Jul 2014 16:54

Was one of his sisters M A Parkinson of 69 Oxford Grove, Bolton?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 21 Jul 2014 17:00

Oops,
yes, I see she was.

two sets of records for him:

First name(s) Robert Thomas
Last name Saul
Service number 3257
Regiment Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry
Unit / Battalion -
Event year 1915
Age 26
Birth year 1889
Birth town -
Birth county -
Birth country -
Residence town -
Residence county -
Series WO 363
Record set British Army Service Records 1914-1920
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Record collection First World War
Collections from Great Britain

Then he transferred to the Border regiment.

st name(s) Robert Thomas
Last name Saul
Service number 260747
Regiment Border Regiment
Unit / Battalion -
Event year 1915
Age 26
Birth year 1889
Birth town -
Birth county -
Birth country -
Residence town -
Residence county -
Series WO 363
Record set British Army Service Records 1914-1920
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Record collection First World War
Collections from Great Britain

There are some records on FMP. Am about to go out for a couple of hours, but may be able to help later unless someone else steps in.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 21 Jul 2014 17:08

he was in France 29-9-16 to 17-10/17. Embarked Southampton, disembarked Rouen.

Discharged after temporary commission as ? Lt in the 3rd Bn Loyal North lancs Rgt.

Some overlap between the two sets of records, several empty or nearly empty pages and faint handwriting. Could possibly help with downloading page images and pming them to you, but I work full time so you might have to wait a while, unless someone else can step into the breach.

amy

amy Report 21 Jul 2014 17:17

hi Kutinta if you could possibly pm the images i would be most grateful. Totally understand if it took awhile. Thank you

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 21 Jul 2014 19:42

I'll download and pm the images to you as time allows. Will make a start tonight. :-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 21 Jul 2014 20:59

Have sent images attached to both records posted previously; a large number of images were found in both records, so omitting the duplicates cut things down quite a bit, and I finished faster than I'd anticipated.

amy

amy Report 21 Jul 2014 21:27

Thanks again Kucinta. :-D

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 21 Jul 2014 23:08

There's a possible Officers service file for him, too, at the National Archives - not online, though. The file, if it's him, would give info about his death/will etc

amy

amy Report 22 Jul 2014 15:14

thankyou. i know that he left the army and died 14yrs later or so. how would i be able to obtain this as work full time so no chance of popping down there.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 22 Jul 2014 21:16

I suspect this is the possible record that annielaurie was referring to:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C730548

On the page it says you can ask for a quotation to have the record digitised or printed and sent to you.

The file was found in WO 374 War Office: Officers' Services, First World War, personal files (alphabetical)

"WO 374 by last name only for records of officers given a Territorial Army commission or a temporary commission
The content of the files varies - some have simply a note of the date of death whilst others contain attestation papers for those commissioned from the ranks, a record of service, personal correspondence and other items.
If you are only searching records in WO 374 - note that the search results will display records from WO 339 and WO 374. Order your search results by reference so you can browse relevant search results in WO 374."

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 23 Jul 2014 16:32

From the London Gazette:

The London Gazette
Publication date:10 December 1920 Issue:32160Page:12271

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32160/supplement/12271

Notice re relinquishing his temporary commission on completion of service.

Flip

Flip Report 24 Jul 2014 08:43

His probate for his death he was 44:

Robert Thomas Saul
Probate Date:27 Sep 1932
Death Date:2 Aug 1932
Death Place:Lancashire, England
Registry:London, England

Of 46 Lake Road, Ansdell, Lytham St Annes. Probate granted to William Edmund Saul, bricklayer. Effects £1990 13s 4d.

amy

amy Report 26 Jul 2014 19:14

thanks guys. ive just recieved his death cert and he died of pulmonary tuberculosis!!

Flip

Flip Report 26 Jul 2014 19:48

Same cause of death of my great uncle - he was also gassed in WW1 - I belive it may have had long term effects. He was fit and healthy before the war.

amy

amy Report 31 Jul 2014 11:55

Yeah apparently he wasn't the same after so I'm guessing long term affects indeed flip. Thanks again everyone.