Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reading WW1 Medal Card help needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillikins

Gillikins Report 23 Sep 2014 19:58

Can anyone help with interpretation of a "Remarks column" which appears to say Cl. F (or T) - 28.1.19.
Would be very grateful - thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Sep 2014 20:09

28.1.19 could be a date.

This might help with the references
http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/interpretmic.html

Could you give the person's name, service number etc etc so we can have a look ourselves please? If you copy and paste the transcription, it makes things easier to find.

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 25 Sep 2014 10:20

This may be reference to his being Discharged to the Reserve as 'Class T' (can't find any ref's to a Class F):

Class T Reserve was introduced in October 1916 by Army Order 355 of 1916. There was no Territorial equivalent. Class T consisted of men in about 30 specific skilled trades (almost all industrial/munitions related) who would otherwise have been transferred to Class W. Terms and conditions were as for Class W.

Class W Reserve and its Territorial Force equivalent Class W(T) were introduced in June 1916 by Army Order 203/16. They were ‘for all those soldiers whose services are deemed to be more valuable to the country in civil rather than military employment’. Men in these classes were to receive no emoluments from army funds and were not to wear uniform. They were liable at any time to be recalled to the colours. From the time a man was transferred to Class W, until being recalled to the Colours, he was not subject to military discipline.

Gillikins

Gillikins Report 26 Sep 2014 12:31

Thanks folks, this is helping a lot, to figure out a bit of lost history. I can post dates of what I know, if anyone requires them. I am trying to find out this soldier's wartime movements.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Sep 2014 19:12

It might help if you did fill us in with what you know or suspect although as you pointed out in your PM, his full records might be amongst those 'lost'.

The Medal Card is transcribed on Ancestry as

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
Name: Frederick T Beale
Regiment or Corps: Welsh Regiment, Labour Corps
Regimental Number: 10516, 451467

With access to that, more knowledgable Memebers may be able to shed a light on things.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Sep 2014 07:58

CIF in military jargen can mean Central Issuing Facility. It depends where it appears.

Gillikins

Gillikins Report 28 Nov 2014 13:03

Just to encourage other members, and to thank for your helpful replies... I have FINALLY read the link above to interpret Medal Cards. It seems obvious to me NOW that this soldier's card reads Class Z.
Having found the start and finish of class Z,
regards G