Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish in British Military

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 23 Sep 2014 20:11

Hi all!!

I just wondered if anyone could help!

I am in desperate need to know more about Patrick Walsh, born c.1863 in Ireland.

He was married to my great x2 grandmother Teresa Fitzsimons in Duleek, Meath in 1893. He was a soldier aged 30 and she was a general servant aged 20. Patrick's father was named as Patrick Walsh a Grocer. Patrick Walsh Jnr's residence is Linnenhall Barracks in Dublin, used by the British army his wife was living there in the 1901 census. Patrick must have been away on service.

After having 4 children Christine (1896), Florence (1897), Mary (1899) and Patrick (1902) Teresa left her husband and moved to Liverpool.

On the marriage certificate for his son Patrick in Liverpool in 1928, Patrick is noted as deceased (however due to Teresa leaving her husband it is unsure whether this is accurate), he is also noted as a Sergeant Major in the Dublin Fusiliers, however once again the accuracy of this information is debatable.

The family know very little about him, and I would love to know more! I feel that gaining access to any military records is the only way to find out more information.

I wondered if any surviving military records would be held here in Britain? Or would they be searchable in Ireland? And if so where?

I would appreciate any guidance from anyone who may have had similar family stories etc.

Kind Regards,

Stephanie

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 23 Sep 2014 20:12

I have not got access to ancestry at the moment, so have been unable to search the British military records for WW1 online.

Kind Regards,

Steph

mgnv

mgnv Report 24 Sep 2014 15:01

Since Patrick Snr would be over 50 when WW1 started, he was unlikely to have served in WW1, so it's the pre-WW1 records on FMP/GR that you'ld be looking for.

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 24 Sep 2014 17:28

Thanks!! I really need to get on find my past, a trip to the library this weeks is necessary I think :-)

Thanks very much

Steph

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Sep 2014 00:13

Hello Steph, do you know where in Ireland he was born?

There are quite a few potentials on FMP so need to narrow it down.

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 26 Sep 2014 12:10

Hi Marie! I don't I am afraid! He is proving to be very elusive!

I found his wife and children on the 1901 census, but what do you know he wasn't there!!

All I know is his father's name, Patrick and that he was a grocer. Other than that I know very little.

Thank you

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 26 Sep 2014 14:01

Steph.

When did Teresa arrive in Liverpool and have you located her on the 1911 Census..? Do you have her history..?.Her parents were Patrick Fitzsimons and Teresa Montgomery....

Linenhall Street was not part of the Linenhall Barracks and according to the 1901 Census Teresa was Head of Family.. if Patrick was in the barracks he would be listed as HOF but a notation that he was recorded on H returns. that being said when Margaret Florence was Baptised in 1896 (14th Dec.) St Michael and St John's RC Church his address is Ship Street Barracks (Dublin Castle)....

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

Linenhall Barracks was the home of the Dublin Fusiliers....

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 11 Oct 2014 16:42

Firstly thank you so much for this reply! I must apologise for my delay in responding!

I am so excited to see that you have been able to find a baptism for Margaret Florence!

To answer your questions, Teresa arrived in Liverpool at some point between 1902 and 1905. After having Christine, Florence and Mary she had Patrick in 1902 in Duleek Meath (Her birthplace) with her husband Patrick Walsh. However for some unknown reason, family story says, that she left her husband and came to Liverpool. She then had my great grandmother Margaret Walsh in Liverpool in 1905 to a man called Thomas McCabe.

I have been able to find Teresa and Margaret on the 1911 census in Liverpool. But the other children are nowhere to be seen! My relatives believe that the three older girls moved away, Christine possibly moving down south whilst Patrick remained in Liverpool.

When Teresa and Patrick were married they were living in Linenhall Barracks, then as you point out Linenhall Street in 1901 (with Patrick off somewhere!)

Any thoughts? Could it be that Patrick 'did a runner'? Or teresa for that matter!!

Thank you so much!

Steph

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Oct 2014 21:17

the Royal Dublin Fusiliers were in the 2nd Anglo-Boer War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Dublin_Fusiliers

so this could be where he was in 1901

Kevin Asplin shows a P Walsh, 1892 Private 2nd Batallion of the Royal Irish Fusiliers in that war but that seems to be a different regiment and he doesn't list the Dublin Fusiliers

http://www.britishmedals.us/files/rifbw.htm

http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/nominal.html

if he was in South Africa it's possible he stayed; the nephew of an ancestor of mine did

http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl

'All Archives Repositories and National Registers of non-public records'

shows numerous Patrick Walsh-s among death notices and estate papers over the years, however, including 1907, 1909, 1936

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Oct 2014 21:32

Steph...Is this the Teresa you found 1911...

Last name
Walsh

Relationship to household head
-

Marital condition
Married

Birth year

Birth place
Co Meath Ireland Resident

Occupation
Charewoman Domestic

Marriage year

Years married

Address
19 Bk Queen Anne Street Liverpool

She's with Margaret Mary aged 5 b Co Meath...
The "Original" states married 15 years 1 child living 1 child died.

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 15 Oct 2014 17:14

Wow thanks guys!!

According to family legend Teresa left Patrick, but of course they were stories we cannot always trust! I am beginning to wonder whether he left her or something similar.

Yes that is the 1911 census I found :-) . Herr son Patrick is not there, but according to his son he was sent to St Edwards orphanage, as they were very poor. It seems Tereasa was lying on the 1911 census. Her daughter Margaret had the name Walsh but her father was a Thomas's McCabe, whole Tereasa met in Liverpool.

Thanks everyone!! I'm am dying to crack this puzzle!!!