Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lion 1st Rate Boys Training Ship

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 7 Oct 2014 19:55

Hi everybody,
I have been trying to research one of my grandfathers brothers, Sidney Gay born 1885 I could not find him on the 1901 census at the family home in Bath but I did find a Sidney Gay from Bath on the Lion Training ship which was down at St Germans, Devonport Devonshire. Does anybody know if there are still records giving details of the personnel who trained there and where they are held.
Regards
Ken

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Oct 2014 22:25

You can purchase & download his service records from the National Archive at a cost of £3.50

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6717192

Reference: ADM 188/370/211846
Description:
Name Gay, Sidney
Official Number: 211846
Place of Birth: Bath, Somerset
Date of Birth: 12 August 1885
Date: [1900]

My grandfather's included the original enlistment papers, but as far as his actual service only listed the vessels/establishments he served on.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 7 Oct 2014 22:28

Could this be Sydneys death
Birth: unknown
Death: Apr. 17, 1918

Note: Private, Gloucestershire Regiment. Age: 33.

Burial:
Vieille-Chapelle New Military Cemetery
Vieille-Chapelle
Departement du Pas-de-Calais
Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France
Plot: IV. F. 13.

Created by: CWGC/ABMC
Record added: Aug 07, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 56452061

I could not copy the top which said
PVT Sidney Gay 1918

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Oct 2014 22:35

If relevant, the CWGC entry for Sylvia's post

Service No: 201850
Date of Death: 17/04/1918
Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment 2nd/5th Bn.
Grave Reference IV. F. 13.
Cemetery: VIEILLE-CHAPELLE NEW MILITARY CEMETERY, LACOUTURE
Additional Information: Son of Mr. W. M. Gay, of 3, St. John's Hospital, Bath.

A photo of his headstone can be found here
http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=3457208

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 8 Oct 2014 09:34

Sidney Gay b 12/8/1885.occupation Masons Boy .Born Bath .
Service No.211846
Discharged November 1901
Unfit.
Served on Impregnable19-25 October 1900
Lions 25 October-November 1901.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 8 Oct 2014 13:45

Hello Kenneth an welcome to the Community boards.

I'll let Kenneth know how to find his replies... :-)

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 9 Oct 2014 20:34

Thank you all,
Your replies have been most helpful, I had wondered if the young navy lad was indeed my grandfathers brother and the birth date you have provided does match also the Soldier appears to be him as his father initials are WM (William Murley).Not coming from Bath and until I started researching I knew little of my fathers family, so thanks again and thanks for pointing me in the right direction Cynthia as I had been off this site for a good while.

regards
Ken

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 10 Oct 2014 09:30

Kenneth .According to Army records (FMP) Sidney Gay aged 18yrs 11 months occup.Baker enlisted in Somerset LI August 1906 he was discharged as "No longer required" July 1907.Reg.No. looks like 7984
His family is listed as...
William Murley Gay.. father
Elizabeth..mother
Arther..older brother
Nellie older sister
Address...
2 Oldfield Place
Oldfield Park
Bath

The details of his mother do not correspond to Census Records..Gives her name as Julia Ann ???.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 10 Oct 2014 11:32

18 May 1918 - Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette - Bath, Somerset,

LOCAL WAR ITEMS.
BATH BAKER KILLED ACTION. Mr. W. M. Gay, of 2. Oldfiefild Place, Lower Oldfield Park, has been officially notified that his son. Pte. Sidney Gay, of the Gloucester Regiment, was killed in action April 17th. The sad intelligence did not arrive until last Saturday. Pte. Gay who was about 30, was unmarried, and was a baker by trade. He had been in the Army rather more than two years. About two years before the war he entered the Army for a time, but soon returned to civil life.

Chris :)

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 10 Oct 2014 18:50

Excellent find Chris..I did wonder if the one I posted was correct looks like it was despite mothers name being Julia Ann...??
Was surprised there were so many SGs listed...but he was the only one with father Wm Merley/Murley (Kenneth's sp.) Gay.

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 10 Oct 2014 21:03

Thank you both for these finds, Julia Ann was his and my grandfathers mother as I did get their birth certificates and thankfully William Murley is I imagine quite an uncommon name which is helpful. It is good to know something of his life even if it does have a sad ending.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Regards

Ken