Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Service Records for great grandfather WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 28 Oct 2014 10:35

Please can anyone help me to find my great grandfather Adam Bradford/Broadfoot records for his service in the ASC in WW1, Adam was born in Scotland in 1868, I have a photograph of him in uniform, his cap badge has been identified as the cap badge for the ASC, it is believed that he was a Driver, I have noticed that in the photograph he is wearing spurs on his boots, I have no knowledge of Adam's service number, Adam survived the war, he died in 1946. I am aware that he would have been in his 40's during the WW1 but the photograph is genuine and it has been verified that it is Adam Bradford born 1868.

Potty

Potty Report 28 Oct 2014 11:28

Do you know where in Scotland he was born?

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 28 Oct 2014 14:44

Yes Adam was born in Cumnock, Ayrshire. Adam's birth date is 30th Jan 1868 Coopers Close, Old Cumnock, Ayrshire

Potty

Potty Report 28 Oct 2014 14:59

Couldn't find a medal card, Jennifer. Maybe, given his age, he didn't serve abroad? My grandfather was about the same age and although he was in the Army from 1914 to 1919, he only served in England.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 28 Oct 2014 15:54

Ok thanks you for trying it is very much appreciated

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 29 Oct 2014 15:31

My grandfather was born in 1874 and was 40 by the start of the war with 5 children and another on the way (lived only a short while).

He was in the Veterinary Corps and went to France/Flanders. He was injured in 1915 but returned when recovered and stayed there until the end of hostilities so would have been almost 45 when he left.

As a driver your gt grandfather could have been in France/Flanders doing his job releasing younger men to fight. This is what I believe happened to my grandfather. :-)

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 29 Oct 2014 19:38

My great grandfather was a married man with four children, he was one of 420 men from a small town called Old Cumnock, Ayrshire, Scotland who volunteered in 1916. Great grandfather Adam was a miner, he had just lost his nephew George Bradford age 25 he was killed in France on the 7th March 1916, I had heard from other members of the family that he had been gassed but I have no evidence of Adam having been anywhere, no records at all it is very frustrating.

Denis

Denis Report 30 Oct 2014 20:02

He seems to have been registered as Adam Broadfoot?

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 31 Oct 2014 07:13

Yes Denis he was the family name was Broadfoot but from Adam's generation they all started to use the name Bradford I have no idea why.