Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Genealogist Mentioned In Despatches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colette

Colette Report 1 Nov 2014 09:00

Hi does anyone have access to The Genealogist they have new records of men mentioned in Despatches..I know my Great Uncle was mentioned, his name was Edward Joseph Pratt 10th Service Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment 2469,,if anyone has access could they look him up for me.

regards Colette B

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Nov 2014 10:18

If no one with a subscription to The Genealogist offers, try searching the London Gazette

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

Colette

Colette Report 1 Nov 2014 11:41

Hi I have the London Gazette its the image of the card I was after.

Thanks Colette

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Nov 2014 12:03

The medal card is on Ancestry, unless there is another version? - will send.

Fwiw, The medal cards are free to view on Ancestry. You could always take out a 14 day trial (and remember to cancel after 10 days). They do have various free access weekends throughout the year

Colette

Colette Report 1 Nov 2014 12:30

Hi its not his medal card its a card regarding Despatches .

http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/featuredarticles/2014/mentioned-in-dispatches-207/

Colette

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Nov 2014 15:30

Fair enough, although the medal card sent does refer to being allowed to wear Oak Leaves. Look in your 'in box' to see my PM as you haven't accessed it yet

The Geneologist page does have a link to a 14 day free trial - pink box bottom right
Have you thought of taking up that offer?? At one time, the organisation frowned on members sending info/images etc to non-members.
Consequently if a GR member sends it in private, please do say that you have 'now received the image'.

Potty

Potty Report 2 Nov 2014 12:16

The Geneologist does not only frown on members doing lookups for others, it charges if it thinks that has happened - check their T&Cs!

I am not sure if there will be a card - "Mentioned in despatches" means exactly that. Perhaps somebody with Military knowledge could explain where the original Despatch could be?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Nov 2014 12:27

Colette still hasn't opened the PM.

The attached image was this...........

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 about Edward J Pratt

Name: Edward J Pratt
Regiment or Corps: 10th R War R
Regimental Number: 2469

Colette

Colette Report 3 Nov 2014 00:07

Hi and thank you I have his medal card,which mentions him being awarded the oak leaf emblem,I know I wont find out what it was he did, the war diary just says MID nothing more.
I did get information on how he died which was invaluable written by an Officer in his Battalion named Charles Herbert Lander the book is called Landers War all about the 10th Service Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
my Great Uncle was RSM and had a close friendship with Lander he says he was hit in the side 3rd Battle Of Ypres and refused Stretcher Bearers he walked back to the spoil bank were the dressing station was and that's were he collapsed and died.

He said Edward was a huge heavy man 6ft 2 and was much loved by everyone and a sad loss to the Battalion you couldn't ask for more could you ?.

He had been with the regiment since 1892 and had retired in 1913,he re joined in 1914.

Thank you again Colette