Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gt Gt Grandfather in Royal Fleet Auxillary

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mandy

Mandy Report 1 Nov 2014 19:58

Hi

I am looking for records about my Gt Gt Grandfather who I believe was in the Royal Fleet Auxillary. On his wedding certificate he is stated as being a Bombadier in the RFA, service no 269738, He was born in birmingham, I believe,and was living in Garrison Lane, Birmingham at the time of his marriage in 1919
Where can I find records for him, please?

Many Thanks
Mandy :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Nov 2014 21:46

Findmypast has some service records although about 70% of WW1 records were destroyed.

What was his name and year of birth?

Kath. x

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Nov 2014 22:12

RFA is Royal Field Artillery.
1919's an awkward date - many WW1 soldiers weren't demobbed until 1919 and even 1920 for some. However, if he continued in the regular army beyond this, his service record would be lumped in with all the WW2 service records, and thus avoid the destructive fire that got most of the WW1 records.

Accessing these later records is just like accessing WW2 records - access limitations, 30 GBP cost, long wait times.

Mandy

Mandy Report 2 Nov 2014 06:36

Hi

Silly me, yes his name might help. He was William Davies. Born about 1899

The Royal Field Artillery would make more sense, thank you! I googled RFA and it came up with Royal fleet auxiliary, which I thought was odd as he was a bombardier. But my military knowledge isn't very good, so I went with it.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Nov 2014 11:00

There is nothing in Findmypast's military records for his name with that soldier number.

As mgnv has already said, his records may still be with the MOD, in which case this site will give you the information you need to order them:-

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Kath. x

Potty

Potty Report 2 Nov 2014 12:09

Are you sure that his Army No is correct? If he served abroad in WW1, his medal card should be on Ancestry but these are the only men coming up with that No:

John Clay Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) Regiment 20523, 269738

Herbert H Schofield Army Service Corps M2/269738

Horace C C Wooding Hertfordshire Regiment, Bedf R & Herts 9732, 269738

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Nov 2014 13:15

Also,

John Henry Chevaux --269738.

Army Labour Corps

Mandy

Mandy Report 2 Nov 2014 17:03

thanks everyone for looking for me. his regimental number was on his marriage cert. I have also looked for hismedal card with no luck. I think its back to the drawing board for this one i think. :-(

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Nov 2014 17:52

Mandy do you have any medals for him?as his service number will be on them,,,,
Where was he born and parents names,?

Was he still in the army when his first child was born ?.as the birth certifcate may give his service number.

Mandy

Mandy Report 2 Nov 2014 18:14

Thank you Kay. That's pretty much all I have on him. There seems to be dozens of William Davies 's in my family, difficult to trace. I think getting the birth cert of his eldest child might be a good idea. Will look at getting that

The only other information I have is that his father , also William Davies, died in service in WW1.

Potty

Potty Report 3 Nov 2014 10:42

Have you any more info on the father? eg when and where he died? If his service record is available, it might give some info on the son.

Mandy

Mandy Report 3 Nov 2014 17:39

Sadly not. This is all the info I have. I will keep researching. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of William Davies's!