Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gordon Highlanders

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Nov 2014 11:24

I very much doubt that anyone will be able to help but I am running out of ideas and thought I would run this passed you.

I have a William Hardy who married a Vera Millicent Jones on 26 Sept 1925 in Manchester. I believe him to be born circa 1894. His father - information gleaned from the marriage certificate - was also a William described as deceased, occupation Army. It would appear that William Jnr was teased as being born in Ireland as his father was supposedly 'passing through'. I take this to mean that he was in Ireland with the Army. Willam Jnr also claimed that his father was a Gordon Highlander. Whether this is true is anyone's guess but he was definitely in the Army. I have tried to establish a William Hardy in the Gordon Highlanders but failed to do so, also perused the Army records as I have no idea when he was in the Army but established nothing. I have no idea the name of William Snr's wife when William Jnr was born and the only clue at all is that one of the witnesses on the mar cert is a Gordon Walter Hardy. Now whether he is a brother to William Jnr or maybe a brother to William Snr or even a cousin I have no idea. I am now completely out of ideas as to where to look now with such scant information. Has anyone any suggestions ? Thanks.

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Nov 2014 11:54

It's a long shot, but given the location there is a marriage for a Gordon W Hardy

Marriages Jun 1923 (>99%)

Hardy Gordon W Heywood Chorlton 8c 1847
Heywood Beatrice Hardy Chorlton 8c 1847

I can't see a corresponding birth in England or Wales, so I am assuming Scotland or Ireland? It might be worth getting the cert just to see if you can confirm his relationship to William?

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Nov 2014 12:22

Yes I agree Rambling Rose. Whilst awaiting any reply, I also found the mariage of Gordon W Hardy and noticed the location. As the Hardy family mostly seem to come from Chorlton/Manchester area, I did think this Gordon was the same family.
I am in the process of looking for Gordon's birth to see if I can establish if his father was William. Not that this will help me with William Snr. It will just mean we have found two brothers but no advance in finding out about William Snr. Many thanks for your suggestion and help in looking.

Potty

Potty Report 11 Nov 2014 13:08

There are a couple of possible births in Ireland:

Hardy William 1873 — 1873 Births & baptisms Dungannon, Tyrone, Ireland

Hardy William 1875 — 1875 Births & baptisms Ardee, Louth, Ireland

The first one should be on the GRONI site, where you can view the original entry. It is a pay-to-view site. Will post the link.

Potty

Potty Report 11 Nov 2014 13:09

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/archive-for-family-and-local-history

Click on Research family history at GRONI then click on Go to GRONI online.

You have to register and buy credits; up to 200; credits cost 40p and 5 paid for a view of an original death entry. You cannot print or download the image. The certs can be ordered on line for £8.

Potty

Potty Report 11 Nov 2014 13:13

Possible for Gordon:

UK, Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956
G W Hardy
Birth Date:abt 1876
Residence Date:2 Apr 1896
Station:Marple
Company:Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire
Description:Staff register: Joint Lines 1852

Potty

Potty Report 11 Nov 2014 13:20

Again for Gordon:

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
Gordon W Hardy

Regiment or Corps:Machine Gun Corps

Regimental Number:129855

There are several medal cards for G W Hardys but this is the only one that has a first name.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 Nov 2014 15:59

The Gordon Highlanders was formed in 1881 if this helps..

who was born in 1874 William jnr ? and married aged 51?or was that the fathers YOB William snr.
-----------------------------------------
??.
William
Last name Hardy
Service number 5397
Regiment Gordon Highlanders
Unit / Battalion 2nd Battalion
Event year 1895
Age 18
Birth year 1877
Birth town Aberdeen
Birth county Aberdeenshire
Birth country Scotland
Residence town -
Residence county -
Series WO 363
Record set British Army Service Records 1914-1920
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Record collection First World War
Collections from Great Britain

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Nov 2014 17:18

Sorry not to have been back but had to go offline. I think I will check the GRONI site as both of these births are either side of 1874 so could be correct. Potty I have made a note of the Railway employment details and will investigate that a bit further. Also Potty, was the Regiment of Corps Machine Gun Corps part of the Gordon Highlanders ?
Kay - I have just realised I made a typing error. William Hardy Jnr was born circa 1894 not 1874. Sorry. The Gordon Highlander information, where did you find this ?
Thanks to everyone for trying.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 Nov 2014 17:43

Hi Margaret,

It is on FindmyPast,,,,,,,,but realise it may not be your man William Snr,,,,,as he was 18 in 1895,,,also there is nothing in his 21 year service record to state he married or had children ,,,the above servied in Africa & East Indies,.....he made Sgt in Rank..

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 Nov 2014 19:48

William
Last name Hardy
Service number 221
Regiment Gordon Highlanders
Unit / Battalion -
Event year -
Age -
Birth year -
Birth town -
Birth county -
Birth country Denmark
Residence town Manchester
Residence county Lancashire
Series WO 364
Record set British Army Service Records 1914-1920
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Record collection First World War

The above from his records,
His fisrt enlistmet was Gordon Highlanders,24/12/08.
He was transfered to the Lancs Fuseliers ---
He completed 21 years service.24/12/08 to 17/3/20.
His father was----
William Hardy.
2p? Leigh Grove.?
Blackpool Road ----Edit----Stockport Road,,,,
Manchester,

the images are quite clear.3 I think,

no marriage down.

Potty

Potty Report 12 Nov 2014 12:34

I am not where the POB comes from in the above record - I cannot see it on the record.
That man was a POW for nearly all of the war- the record says he was listed as missing on 26/08/1914, shown as captured at (place not clear but begins with B); POW at Sinnelager?; repatriated 30/12/1918.

He should be on the 1911 census but I can't find him. I am not sure if there were separate returns for Scottish regiments.

Potty

Potty Report 12 Nov 2014 12:37

He is on the Medal Rolls:

UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920
William Hardy

Military Year:1914-1920
Medal Awarded:British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps:Gordon Highlanders
Regimental Number:221
Previous Units:1st Gordon Hdrs. No.221 Pte., 45th Roy. Fus. 133200

Potty

Potty Report 12 Nov 2014 12:41

Could this be a death for William Snr:

Deaths Jun 1924 (>99%)
Hardy William 58 Chorlton 8c 754

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 Nov 2014 14:01

Hi Everyone - many thanks for your sterling afforts. I am looking at Potty's death in 1924 aged 58. If this is indeed the William Hardy Snr, he would be born circa 1866. His son William was born 1894. Take 1866 from 1894 and William Snr would have been abt 28 when the younger was born. This seems very feasible to me.

The address on the reply from Kay - Leigh Grove, Blackpool Road, Manchester. The Hardy family were from Manchester and I am going to get in touch with a family member to see if this address rings a bell.

In the meantime I am trying to get my head round all the above information to try and work out just which bits could be our William Snr. What a frustrating family this is turning out to be !

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Nov 2014 15:26

Margaret --Re-read the edit of address,,,

William Hardy,,,,,,221,

Served,
Gordon Highlanders,52nd Batt.
Royal Fusilers,
Lancs Fusliers,

gaining numbers,

above info is from the paper images for this man.

26/8/1914 Reported missing ,re-captured in Bury, and sent to Hull.....

these images are on FindmyPast, he may have a pension record in his last service number but they arent on that site,