Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ARMY SERVICE RECORDS FOR SURVIVORS OF WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cathryn

Cathryn Report 17 Nov 2014 16:40

I am trying to find the Service Record of my grandfather who served in the Worcestershire Regiment in WW1.

Here on GR they only cover those that died in WW1 so where would I find the Service Record of my grandfather Alfred Field b. 1892 born in Redditch, Worcestershire, who survived.

Any advice would be appreciated.

[Cathryn] :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Nov 2014 17:40

Hello Cathryn, sadly around 70% of WW1 service records were destroyed during a fire in WW2. Those that did survive are available on Ancestry or FindMyPast

There are a few records in that name though, like this one:

British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920
Name: Albert Field
Birth Date: abt 1892
Birth Place: Oldbury, Worcester
Age at Enlistment: 17
Document Year: 1909
Regimental Number: 1035
Regiment Name: Worcestershire Regiment
Number of Images: 32 - (can be viewed on ancestry or FindMyPast)
Form Title: Territorial Force Attestation

This one was a glass maker and lived 125 Station Road, Langley, Oldbury. Appears unmarried as next of kin is mother "Mrs Field"

What else can you tell us about your grandfather - would he have been married? What was his occupation?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 18 Nov 2014 20:35

As in my post about WW1 records, it has now been conifrmed by Kew that in fact there are only around 20-25% of WW1 records remaining.

Cathryn

Cathryn Report 19 Nov 2014 15:21

MarieCeleste / Thank you for your information. Much appreciated. Trouble is I accidentally put my grandfather's first name wrong! It was ALFRED not Albert. That was a good start.

Next, the info you gave was obviously for an Albert so that is cancelled. Sorry. Anyway my grandfather was married in 1912 so he must have enlisted or probably was called up. His occupation was that of a needle grinder. Redditch was known for the manufacture of needles [sewing and knitting]. He was born in Redditch in July 1892 and died in Redditch July 1976.

Not quite sure if he was in the Worcester Regiment or the Warwickshire Regiment as the county boundary line went straight through the middle of Redditch town. Very annoying when researching.

I do appreciate what you have done on my behalf and if you do find anything of interest, I would be most appreciative to receive it.

Cathryn :-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 21 Nov 2014 15:56

This one?

Name: Alfred Field
Birth Date: abt 1892
Birth Place: St Stephens, Worcestershire, England
Document Year: 1912
Regimental Number: 1014
Regiment Name: Royal Field Artillery
Form Title: Territorial Force Attestation
Number of Images: 6

Image says born in the parish of St Stephens, in or near the town of Redditch.

This one was a needle ????????(possibly grinder) in the employ of S Thomas & Sons. His address was 15 Victoria St Redditch.

However he says 'No' to the question are you married? (date of doc 12th May 1912, so was that before the wedding in 1912?)

Medical Inspection Report.

Apparent age 20 yrs.

Physical Development good

Vision Good

Religion C of E

Height 5 ft 6 1/2 ins

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 21 Nov 2014 16:00

Same chap cont'd...

Engagement reckoned from 22/5/12. rank, Gunner.

Embodied 5.8.14.

Total engagement in the Territorial Force to 30th dec 1914 (date of discharge) 2 yrs 223 days.

Discharged under para 156 (ii) Territorial Force Regns 1912

Next of Kin : father, William, 15 Victoria St Redditch

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 21 Nov 2014 16:11

This would look to be that Alfred's parents, living in Victoria St in 1911:

15 Victoria Street Redditch, Redditch, Worcestershire, England

William Field Head Married Male 45 1866 Redditch Worcestershire Swivel Maker
Elizabeth Field Wife Married Female 45 1866 Redditch Worcestershire

8 children born of the marriage, 5 still living at time of census.

For some reason William says married 25 years, Elizabeth says married 11 years but this has then been crossed out.

jansmith

jansmith Report 21 Nov 2014 18:58

who did he marry and what were children's names?

Cathryn

Cathryn Report 21 Nov 2014 19:53

I am staggered at the information you all have found. Yes this is my granddad Field. I feel so excited about the info. I am going to print this out but would ask where did you obtain this info. I have been trying unsuccessfully for ages. I cannot even find him on the GR 1911 Census. Only his parents are mentioned so I have been bewildered as to where Alfred and his siblings were living at the time of the Census.

He married my Granny Field [then Elsie May Bourne] on 07 Sept 1912 at Ipsley Church. Redditch. Worcs.

He came out of the army a different man. So hard and stern he had suffered a lot.

I will reply again when I have digested all this incredible info. Thank you so much.

Cathryn :-)

jansmith

jansmith Report 21 Nov 2014 20:43

1901 for info

Name:
Alfred Field
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Relation to Head: Son
Father: William Field
Mother: Elizabeth Field
Birth Place: Redditch, Worcestershire, England
Civil Parish: Redditch
Ecclesiastical parish: St Stephen
Town: Redditch
County/Island: Worcestershire
Household Members:
William Field 36
Elizabeth Field 37
Nellie Field 15
Alfred Field 9
Eliza Field 5
Wilfred Field 3
Eliza Smith 77 ---mother
Joseph Field 24 -boarder

Name:
Sarah Field
Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1823
Relation to Head: Grandmother, Grandma (Grandmother)
Birth Place: Redditch, Worcestershire, England
Civil Parish: Redditch

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 21 Nov 2014 21:19

Will pm you the images.

I couldn't spot him readily in census 1911 either.

He signed up before the marriage so that explains the answer 'no' on his form.

The record I've posted shows him as discharged at the end of 1914, and his service as being at home.

I have not been able to identify any further records for him, if he re-enlisted at any point and served in WWI, but it is a very common name, so there might be other records out there.

Cathryn

Cathryn Report 22 Nov 2014 15:14

jansmith/
Thank you for the 1901 census info.

Kucinta/

I think Alfred Field re-listed because he was in several of the wars. Will have to explore more.

Many thanks for your persistence, it is much appreciated.

:-)

Potty

Potty Report 24 Nov 2014 13:07

Meaning of Para 156:

PARA 156 (II) TF Regs "Being medically unfit"

Cathryn

Cathryn Report 25 Nov 2014 12:19

Potty/
Thank you, that is a bit of interesting info. Could explain a couple of things.

:-)