Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Granda, John Cockburn

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracy

Tracy Report 27 Dec 2014 20:57

My local paper, The Sunderland Echo, had a double page spread about my late Granda, John Cockburn. All the family knew he had served his country during WW1 as a private in the DLI and been taken as a POW. What we didn't know was that he'd been shot 3 times (sent home to recover twice) and his life saved by a german surgeon on one of these occasions. He never spoke about his experiences. He died, aged 74 xxx

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 28 Dec 2014 07:51

How wonderful for you Tracy.

I too have found out about a relative's WW1 service and unfortunately his death in print this year. He wasn't anywhere as close a relative as your grandfather but it makes you proud and glad they are remembered doesn't it?

Your grandfather was very brave and many who serve and see terrible things don't talk about it. Perhaps it stirs the horrors up again too much or they just want to get on with life and leave the memories behind.

I'm glad you've found out about him, how proud you must be. There's my grandfather's family in my picture it's late 1916 as he's away in France, see the note underneath. Granddad was away most of the war, he looked after the now famous war horses. My granddad was injured and was sent back home for a short time in 1915 - hence my father's arrival in 1916.
Pat
:-) <3

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 28 Dec 2014 09:56

Hello Tracy, welcome to the boards and thank you for sharing this with us.

This link is to a PoW register for a John Cockburn born 25/04/1897 in Sunderland. Next of kin Margaret A Cockburn at 29 Water Street, Sunderland. He was in the 15th DLI

http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/720337/1872/23463/

(You'll need to scroll down until you get to page 23463)

Is this your grandfather? If so you can download the page for your records.

ADDED: This is a handwritten version of the same entry, scroll to page 29301

http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/720337/1872/29301/

Tracy

Tracy Report 28 Dec 2014 10:01

What a great story you have to tell, you must be so proud of him. The picture is lovely of his wife and children. It's lovely to remember the men who looked after all the brave horses and other animals during the war. Did your grandfather return home when the war ended? My granda was bad with his nerves for the rest of his life. He had major stomach problems due to malnourishment whilst a POW. However, he met my nana and had 8 children! Tracy x

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 28 Dec 2014 13:52

Yes Tracy he returned home at the end of the war. He seems to have been OK. My father was to be the youngest, a post war baby was stillborn.

Granddad was born in 1874 so was already 40 when the war started and he volunteered to serve. Granddad died June 1953. I remember those few days so vividly it was all new things and excitement.

The Saturday before the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth ll we celebrated our grandparents 50th wedding anniversary it was my first big family party, I was 4. It was so exciting and we had our photos taken and there was a big cake that Aunty May had made. No one knew he was dying of cancer except maybe himself and Gran. On the Tuesday (I think) it was the Coronation and mum took my sister and myself to Aunty May and Uncle Edgar's as they were the only people who had a TV. When we got there Aunty rushed to mum said something and then we were told to behave (we were 4 and 2) as she had to get dad. Bewildered we played with children there for a while - it was 2 miles to get back home and no transport. She did manage to get back to see the queen arrive for the event.

Granddad had been taken ill during the night, the end was nigh, I saw him once more when he tried to get me to eat rice pudding as I hated it - it had been made with the dreadful sterilized milk.

In 2 weeks I'd done the 1st family gig, seen TV, seen a coronation and lost my granddad and stood on a corner with my nan (maternal side) as the hearse went past to say goodbye, didn't understand of course.

Look at my picture now, that's my grandparents with their children at the 50th - all dead so no problem showing them now. Grandparents in the middle.

Granddad was 79 when he died and grandma 82, they didn't do too bad. <3

Tracy

Tracy Report 28 Dec 2014 19:23

Thats amazing to remember all that and you were only 4! It's funny but the only memory I have of my granda is when he was in hospital and, because I was only 4?, my dad had to lift me up to the hospital window to wave at him. He didn't live very long after that. My nana lived until she was 86 but had suffered from senile dementia for several years prior. My nana had my mam when she was 44 so my grandparents were 'old' (my younger siblings never knew them, which is a shame) Your grandparents didn't do too bad, definitely x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Dec 2014 08:20

Hi Tracy, is that your grandfather on the links I posted above? Perhaps you already had those records.

Tracy

Tracy Report 29 Dec 2014 23:17

Hi MarieCeleste, thanks very much for showing me the documents with my granda's name. It's definitely him. I already have a copy of this but really appreciate your help. It's lovely to read about the different experiences and to learn more about my family x

mgnv

mgnv Report 31 Dec 2014 01:56

A British battalion, like the 15th DLI, would have abt 1000 men at full strength. They were one of 4 bns in a brigade (one of 3 after Feb 1918, when losses outstripped replacements). A division had 3 brigades, plus ancillary units like supply columns, trench mortar companies, some artillery batteries, field ambulance coys, etc, etc.
http://www.1914-1918.net/dli.htm
http://www.1914-1918.net/21div.htm

In all the 21st Division had suffered the loss of 55581 killed, wounded and missing.

Tracy

Tracy Report 1 Jan 2015 22:46

Hi mgnv, thanks for the very interesting information you've shared x