Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military Ranks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

April

April Report 5 Jan 2015 14:34

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a picture of my Great Grandad in uniform but I have no idea what his rank is. I have been told he was in the RAF and the Guards (he wore either a busby or a bearskin hat) The photo shows 5 chevrons and possibly a crown.
Any help very gratefully received

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jan 2015 16:47

If you can give us his name, date and place of birth, we might be able to look for his service records. Bear in mind that over 70% of them were destroyed in WW2 bombing.

The Guards records survived in the main as they were stored elsewhere. If he transferred to and stayed in the RAF after the war, his records will still be with the MOD.

Before we go down that route, its best to see what records are available on line.

There's plenty of mention on the internet of 4 chevrons and a crown, but not 5! E.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_Cavalry
Staff Corporal/Squadron Quartermaster Corporal = Staff Sergeant/Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant: Four chevrons, point up, with metal crown above, worn on lower sleeve

Unless you know for sure that he was in the RAF, might that have come about by the use of the word Squadron which only later applied to the Air Force?

April

April Report 5 Jan 2015 17:32

Thank you,
Looks like I was getting a bit mixed up. I have one photo of my Granddad (Harold Anscombe b1889) in full military dress, possibly part of a band wearing a bearskin hat.
The other military photo (who I'm not sure of the family connection at the moment) defiantly has 5 chevrons on his left lower arm, braiding on his right shoulder. I can only presume he's military as he also has 4 medals, unfortunately the image is quote old and faded. The bit that is confusing me (and my husband who is currently serving in our armed forces) is the fact the chevrons are upside down compared to modern uniforms - eg the point of the chevron faces up.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jan 2015 18:06

The upside down chevron seems to be confusing most 'military expert' threads :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jan 2015 18:15

Did Harold have a middle initial? There are various records on Ancestry, primarily medal cards for Harold (middle initial) Anscombe as well as simple H Ainsworth.

Were was he living when he enlisted as that might effect the initial regiment he joined.

The majority of men who served for the whole of WW1 and saw action were awarded 3 medals -
14 or 15 Star
Victory medal
British medal

The 4th, assuming the mystery photo does date from then, might be an earlier service or campaign medal.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 6 Jan 2015 11:19

It is not an RAF uniform as I believe (ex WRAF) when taught about RAF history and ranks the chevron was always as today except for techies but never 5 stripes.

Just because he's wearing medals doesn't mean it's a military uniform, he could be in a civilian band but expected to wear medals.

I would try the history of the cavalry regiments it's just something in the back of my mind that is nagging me.

Hope it helps :-)

Edit :- found this look at the letters especially the 1 re good conduct stripes.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26864

More research done they are good conduct stripes and 5 means 20 -23 years and no higher rank than L/Cpl. Generally used in the Brigade of Guards and King's Troop some Royal Artillery Regiments, still used by some today - knew I'd seen it on a man on a horse :-D

April

April Report 6 Jan 2015 15:52

That's great, thanks you, it gives me a better starting point than before. Thank you all.

Potty

Potty Report 7 Jan 2015 12:21

WW1 records for Guards regiments still survive as they are kept separately by each regiment and are not included in the Service and Pension records available on line. This site gives details of where:

http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/army--soldiers-service-documents-burnt-documents-other-ranks-wwi-military/229/

Potty

Potty Report 7 Jan 2015 12:36

This looks like the H Anscombe medal roll record that DeTective mentions and it is for a Guards regiment:

Name:H Anscombe
Military Year:1914
Medal Awarded:1914 Star
Regiment or Corps:Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line
Regimental Number:6436
Sub Unit:2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays)

This is the medal card for the same man:

Name:Harry Anscombe
Regiment or Corps:2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays), 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays), C f Dns
Regimental Number:6436, 2DG/6436, D/19811

Date of Entry was 4/10/1914, so quite soon after the start of the war which might mean that he was already in the Army.

The above are on Ancestry; if you don't have access, let me know and I will send you the images.

Potty

Potty Report 7 Jan 2015 12:46

From this site

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/2nd%20Dragoon%20Guards%20%28The%20Queen%27s%20Bays%29

it looks as if he enlisted between 1903 and 1906 although it could have been later. Have you found him on the 1911 census?

April

April Report 7 Jan 2015 13:43

Potty, you are a star! ?Thank you very very much for that information :-)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Jan 2015 20:17

5 chevrons were awared for 23 years service.