Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help in searching records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 3 Mar 2015 10:16

hi everyone, i am trying to look for miltary records of my grandad he was called sydney clark from birmingham and he was a dessert rat in the second world war and he was parachuted ino africa unfortunately i do not have any more info. if anyone can point me in the right direction i would be grateful.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Mar 2015 10:45

Unfortunately WW2 service records are still with the MOD and are not online.

Have a look here to see how to send off for them:-

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

They cost about £30 and will take several months to receive.

Kath. x

Gillian

Gillian Report 3 Mar 2015 14:23

Thank you for your help

kim

kim Report 4 Mar 2015 20:00

Kath,
I am hoping to do this in the next few months for my Grandfather I am lucky in the fact I have his service no and some details of his Army history already.
He was in the Army before WWII when he married my grandmother.
However I am also hoping to find out about my Gt Uncle Joseph who I am told served with the Coldstream Guards during WW II.
How much information do you need to give them when enquiring?
Thanks
Kim

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Mar 2015 20:34

Hi Kim

If you don't have full details then it may be better to ring and talk to someone and let them know what details you do have and also your relationship to Joseph. It is quite some years since I ordered service records and so I don't remember exactly how much information they needed. This is the number you need:-

Tel: 0845 600 9663

and the address:

Army Personnel Centre
Historic Disclosures, Mailpoint 555, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX

Kath. x

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 4 Mar 2015 23:00

As he was in Coldstream Guards you could apply to Wellington Barracks as thy hold their own records. Cost is slightly higher - £33 - but it might be quicker!

https://www.coldstreamguards.org.uk/histories-of-the-coldstream-guards/archives.html

kim

kim Report 5 Mar 2015 19:09

Thanks both of you great information.
Kim x

Lianne

Lianne Report 9 Mar 2015 12:30

i had a quick look for his name on Forces War Records website as im subscribed to that webpage but unfortunately it came up with 73 matches and 90 odd matches with spelling variations and without a d.o.b or regiment i wouldnt have a clue which one he was for definate. you would have to go through all of them yourself and hope to find a clue in their somewhere. sorry i couldnt be of more help

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 9 Mar 2015 23:09

I wouldn't bother with the Forces War Records website - they haven't got WW2 service records