Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Certificates

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wonky Woman

Wonky Woman Report 9 Mar 2015 20:08

Can anyone tell me who I need to contact to have a Death Certificate for my grand father who died in WW1 in France please.

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 9 Mar 2015 20:51

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Mar 2015 23:56

You will probably get just as much (if not more) information from the Commonwealth War Graves site. Check here:-

www.cwgc.org

His death certificate is unlikely to give you more than his regiment, date of death and the cause of death is likely to be either "killed in action" or "died of wounds".

Kath. x

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 10 Mar 2015 13:01

Welcome to the Community boards Wonky Woman.

(I'll let Wonky Woman know how to find her replies) :-)

Wonky Woman

Wonky Woman Report 10 Mar 2015 16:20

Thanks Kath, I was hoping to have more info, I already know that he ' died of his wounds '. I am also trying to find out exactly where in France he was fighting and where he died, would anyone know where I could get this information. Thanks again.

Silwyn ( Wonky Woman)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Mar 2015 16:32

You could perhaps contact the regimental museum for whichever regiment he was with. They might be able to give you more information.

Kath. x

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 10 Mar 2015 16:45

What was his name, age and where did he come from? Do you know what regiment he served in?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 10 Mar 2015 20:18

Hello "Wonky" - the UK Army Register of Soldiers Effects occasionally gives a more specific location of death than that given on CWGC (it sometimes gives the Casualty Clearing Station etc)

If you care to give the who when and where details we could check it out for you.

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 11 Mar 2015 19:42

War medals, and also war diaries are great too. But I got more info on my certificate, as it told me he was a prisoner of war. :-D

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Mar 2015 22:50

His d.cert will be a certified copy of an entry in the War Returns register for WW1.
You can see an image of such a page via a link at foot of:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&404
(Naturally, given the site, this is a Scotish regiment, but the register's pretty identical.
Although you don't say, I'm assuming he was in the British army, rather than some other nation's army, and he was in the army, not the land forces of the RN, say).

I presume you've either seen his service record, or know he died of wounds from family stories.
If all you knew was he died in a military hospital or a casualty clearing station, it's usually difficult to know he wasn't killed in a bombing raid, and nearly impossible to say he didn't die of sickness.

Potty

Potty Report 12 Mar 2015 12:06

The cemetery where he is buried will be on the CWGC site. The cemetery details often give info on what battles the soldiers buried there were killed in.

Wonky Woman

Wonky Woman Report 12 Mar 2015 15:25

Thank you everyone,
I am going to use all the info you've given me and get back to you when I've found something, My Grandfather was Percy Havelock Turner army no 3768 in 1st Monmouthshire Regiment, died 27th December 1916, he was 28 ( died of his wounds ), Duty location :- France & Flanders. I would like to find out if it's possible to see his army record or at least know when he actually enlisted .

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Mar 2015 17:50

His service records are on Findmypast. He enlisted on 12th April 1915 at Newport Monmouthshire.

He went to France on 9th June 1916.

He died of multiple shot wounds.

There isn't much left of his records (looks like they were burned) but you can see his signature and it gives a description of him.

Sorry, I'm no good at copying these records but someone else may be able to do it for you.

Kath. x

Wonky Woman

Wonky Woman Report 12 Mar 2015 21:52

Thank you so much Kath, I'm feeling really emotional, I know that sounds silly to someone else but this is information I have been trying to find for so long.

Thanks again
Silwyn ( Wonky Woman )

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Mar 2015 00:34

Do you have him in the 1911 census? If not here it is:-

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
3 Hill St Abertysswg Cardiff, Rhymney, Monmouthshire, Wales

First name(s) Last name Relationship to household head Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Birth place Occupation

Percy Havelock Turner Head - Male 21 1890 Camden Town London Coal Miner Hewer
Rose May Turner Wife - Female 18 1893 Troedrhingwair Mon
John Christopher Addis Turner Son - Male 3 1908 Merthyr Tydsil Glam
Florrie Evelyn Turner Daughter - Female 2 1909 Abertysswg Mon

Married 3 years. 3 children born alive. 2 living and one has died.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Mar 2015 00:43

According to the CWGC site his headstone has the inscription "Safe in the arms of Jesus"

Kath. x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Mar 2015 07:48

Will collate the service record images (there is quite a bit more on Ancestry than on FMP) and send to Silwyn.

Wonky Woman

Wonky Woman Report 13 Mar 2015 09:13

Thank you again everyone for all your help,

MarieCeleste that would be wonderful.

Yes Kath my Dad was just 9 when his Dad died & he always told me that Percy was a very gentle man and also religious, he also told me about the inscription. I have said for many years that I am going to see Percy's grave because my Dad would have loved to have visited it, all this info has made me more determined to go to France.

Silwyn x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Mar 2015 09:23

Silwyn, I've sent you a message (check your message inbox) with the document attached.

Wonky Woman

Wonky Woman Report 13 Mar 2015 09:49

Thank you Marie,

I am looking at it but can't quite believe it, apart from census & birth & marriage certs it's the first thing I have seen that is about Percy himself. I am so grateful to you for taking the time to help me. Thanks again

Silwyn x