Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ivor Schofield R A F died Swinford 1951

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sheilafromdownunder

sheilafromdownunder Report 11 Aug 2015 03:32

Hello , I do have other thread on GR about Ivor Schofield , which have answered a lot of questions ,.and have been advised to mention it But now I would like your help please .

The fact as I know them are ---- Ivor Schofield was born in Grimsby in 1925, and joined the R A F ( we think he lied about his age ) but as of yet I can't prove it. He died in 8/3/1951 at Swinford Lutterworth . in an air crash . I am waiting for his death certificate from the G R O , Any further help would be very much appreciated

Kind Regards
Sheila ps Living I Australia a different time zone so sorry if I don't get to answer swiftly

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Aug 2015 08:48

We can't really add any more than the advise you've already been given on your other thread.
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1353974

His records will still be with the MOD and will cost £30 to be sent a copy. You might have to arrange a sterling cheque As you've sent for his DC and he died over 50 years ago, there shouldn't be a problem ordering them.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

sheilafromdownunder

sheilafromdownunder Report 11 Aug 2015 10:00

Thank you I had hoped that somewhere someone would know a little more ,
his service no and where he was stationed . Any thing to full in the gap. I will have to wait 2 more weeks for the GRO death certificate to arrive
Sheila

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Aug 2015 10:12

His DC might have his service number.

The probate entry posted on your other thread says he was resident at RAF Syerston, Newark Notts. The fact that it says 'Officers Mess' suggests that he held an Officers rank rather than your standard Aircraft Man

There are quite a few entries on the internet for RAF Syerston.

Added 2 weeks isn't too long. You could be waiting up to 9 months once you've ordered his service records!

sheilafromdownunder

sheilafromdownunder Report 11 Aug 2015 11:38

Thank you a great help

Denis

Denis Report 11 Aug 2015 19:19

He was a Flight Lieutenant. His service number was 190254 and he served at RAF Syerston. He is buried in Scunthorpe Cemetery.

sheilafromdownunder

sheilafromdownunder Report 11 Aug 2015 23:04

Denis . Thank you so very much for the information some of it unknown to us and will help when I apply to the R A F for his records
I am so very grateful. So I will wish you G'day and thanks again from Tropical North Queensland

Regards Sheilafomdownunder :-D :-0

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 12 Aug 2015 17:58

Hi Sheila,

What makes you think he lied about his age to join up? He was 25/6 when he died. He was a Flt Lt which was not unusual for someone of that age.

Ivor Henry Schofield

Gazzetted on these dates so commissioned and elevated in rank around these dates as London Gazette only has this once a week.

Appears to have been commissioned from the ranks (Sgt) on 17th January 1945 Pilot Officer.

Became (17th January 1946) Flying Officer

Flt Lt 16th August 1948