Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kings royal rifle corps

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 11 Aug 2015 16:38

I am trying to trace the brother of my grandfather. His name was Thomas Edward Moorer born 1865C. My grandfather John moorer was in the royal Fusiliers and his brother was given as next of kin and it said on the record that Thomas was in the Kings royal rifle corps. He does not appear to have any WW1 records and I have found him on the electoral roles for the period using the name John Thomas Moorer. My grandfather was John Moorer not him. later Thomas uses the name Edward Thomas Moorer and then his own name Thomas Edward Moorer. His wifes name was Caroline Emma Ewen but even on her marriage certificate she is called Emma and also on the 1911 census. On her death he name is given as Caroline Moorer. I am very curious about the name changes since they did not move address. I cannot find any details of Thomas in Military records and I wonder if anyone else has an idea how I can trace him. Moorer is quite an unusual name in England. Any help much appreciated

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Aug 2015 17:05

Is this him? :-

First name(s) THOMAS
Last name MOORER
Birth year 1866
Birth parish LAMBETH
Birth town LONDON
Birth county SURREY
Birth country ENGLAND
Service number 3479
Rank -
Regiment King's Royal Rifle Corps - 60th Rifles
Document Type Attestation
Attestation year 1886
Attestation Day 15
Attestation Month 3
Attestation age years 20
Attestation age months 3
Attestation Corps King's Royal Rifle Corps
Attestation service number 3479
Discharge Corps King's Royal Rifle Corps
Series WO97 chelsea pensioners british army service records 1760-1913
Box 3495
Box Record Number 1
Record set British Army Service Records 1760-1915
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Regimental & service records

If this is him it gives his mother as Ann Moorer of 20 Tower Street, Waterloo Road, London.

He joined the army 15th March 1886.

Height 5ft. 4 7/8th inches
Weight 118 lbs.
Chest measurement 33 inches
Complexion pale
Eyes brown
Hair light brown
Religion Church of England.

He was discharged on 8th March, 1898.

I think he was probably too old to have served in WW1.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Aug 2015 17:39

The above record says his birth parish was Lambeth and this looks like his birth:-

First name(s) THOMAS EDWARD
Last name MOORER
Birth year 1865
Birth quarter 1
Registration month -
Mother's last name -
District LAMBETH
County London
Country England
Volume 1D
Page 274
Record set England & Wales births 1837-2006
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Births & baptisms
Collections from Great Britain

Kath. x

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 11 Aug 2015 19:15

yes this is him. Where did you find his army records? I have ancestrty but could not find them, Yes he was born in Lambeth but lived in Finsbury later on and called himself John Thomas Moorer .
Thankyou for looking this up for me

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Aug 2015 21:05

The above records were on Findmypast.

Kath. x

Potty

Potty Report 12 Aug 2015 16:06

Is it a WW1 record that you have found for John? I have found an earlier one for him - served 1886-1889.

Thomas, having earlier been a soldier, would probably be in the reserve and could have been called up early in the war. My grandfather was born a year later and he served in WW1 from 1914 to 1918, but only in the UK.