Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

JAMES BURTON, RAMC. Japanese PoW, Burma,1942-45

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Horrace

Horrace Report 15 Aug 2015 16:02

This was my dear uncle Jim, my father's younger brother, born 1920 in Runcorn, Cheshire, who survived and lived to be 85 in 2005. His final years with his dear wife and family were spent on The Wirral, Cheshire.

My father went to meet uncle Jim at Liverpool Docks when he was repatriated. James was so very 'wasted' when he arrived, even after a period of recuperation in Germany at a British Army hospital, that Dad didn't recognise him, and was fortunately recognised by uncle Jim himself !

My wife and I went to uncle Jim's 80th birthday party, when he was still very lively, and interesting about his experiences, but by then wheelchair bound.

It would be interesting to discover whether any of his fellow soldiers, that remember Jim, are still with us.

Every generation since that dreadful time owe a debt of gratitude to all his compatriots.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Aug 2015 16:38

Have you tried the forums on ForcesReunited. You might have more luck there.

Have just been watching the VJ Day celebrations on tv. Very moving to hear the stories of the veterans. As you say, we all owe them a great debt of gratitude for what they went through.

Kath. x

Horrace

Horrace Report 15 Aug 2015 18:06

Hello, and thank you Kath,

Yes, my wife Pat and I watched the earlier church service, which was itself very moving.

These days I've grown quite tearful during such commemorations, being now beyond my mid-seventies! Not very manly really, and a touch embarrassing in company, and particularly so in congregation.

I understand that uncle Jim was a trained first-aid ambulance man in his pre-war occupation, which was useful, and I believe he served his fellow prisoners in this capacity, as he used to talk about taking soldiers' diseased appendix out with a sharp penknife rendered sterile over a lighter flame! Or at least acting as the camp doctor's assistant!!

I'll try your suggestion on Forces Reunited.

Best wishes to you and yours,

Horrace.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 15 Aug 2015 22:07

The Burma Star Association may be of help to you

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/

:-)

When you go home,
Tell Them of us and say,
For your tomorrow,
We gave our today

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 15 Aug 2015 23:45

Have you seen this?

http://www.cofepowdb.org.uk/cdb/Controller.jsp?action=viewimage&photo-id=1002

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Aug 2015 12:00

That's a great find Ann. You can see the address from that record on Google Streetview. I love looking at the houses my ancestors lived in.

Kath. x

Horrace

Horrace Report 16 Aug 2015 12:19

Hello PatinCyprus

Thank you for the tip and link to the Burma Star Association.

Horrace

(Ron)

Horrace

Horrace Report 16 Aug 2015 12:24

Hello annielaurie,

My thanks to you also, for the link.

Horrace

(Ron)

Horrace

Horrace Report 16 Aug 2015 12:30

To annielaurie,

Wow! I've just used your link and you've struck gold !!

I didn't expect anything as good as an official document...that's great... thank you very much for your efforts on my behalf.

Ron

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 16 Aug 2015 23:29

Thanks Horrace. Pleased to hear it was useful!