Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unidentified military uniform

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 29 Oct 2015 20:07

I am trying to identify a photograph of my father post WW1 with a couple of mules which apparently were being trained. at the time. Does anyone out there have any idea which unit or regiment this might be please?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Oct 2015 22:46

Shirley, I'm afraid we can't help without having sight of the photograph.

You could put it in your Keepsafe on here, make the photo public then add a link on here.

Shirley

Shirley Report 30 Oct 2015 11:21

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/20660574

This is the link (hopefully!) to the military uniform I am trying to trace, place, unit, datewise etc.

Potty

Potty Report 30 Oct 2015 12:24

Can you give us some more details about your father? His name, DOB & POB. Did he marry? We might be able to find some records for him that will give his regiment.

Actually, I don't think they are mules. The one on the left is definitely a horse. The uniform looks similar to one somebody else was looking for earlier in the year. I think that mans regiment was the Oxfordshire Hussars - I will try to find the thread.

Potty

Potty Report 30 Oct 2015 12:25

Sorry, just noticed you said post WW1. Did he actually serve in WW1?

Potty

Potty Report 30 Oct 2015 12:29

This is the other thread - and if you look at the keepsake photo there, the uniform is very similar to the one you posted:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1353561?page=1

Looking at your photo, the uniform looks like a Cavalry one.

Potty

Potty Report 30 Oct 2015 12:34

Is the cap badge any clearer on the original photo? If you Google, there are sites showing cap badges.

Shirley

Shirley Report 30 Oct 2015 18:14

Thanks for all your replies. Firstly,no the cap badge is not very clear. I have someone trying to research it for me and not having much luck and he said he thought it was not during WW1 which makes sense as he was born in 1901. He has a very common name, Henry John Taylor and I have done a lot of research but because of the name, it makes it so difficult. He was also an armament inspector in the Nottm. area around 1939/40 and maybe later but no records seem to be in existence there! He was born in the Bath area and lived and died in Plymouth.

Potty

Potty Report 31 Oct 2015 11:38

When did he marry and what was his occupation on the marriage cert and on any children's birth certs? If he wasn't a soldier on them, it might help to date when he was in the Army.

I did try to identify the badge, but the only sites I could find were dealers and not very helpful.

It might help to find if there were any Cavalry regiments based in the Bath area.

Potty

Potty Report 31 Oct 2015 11:58

I wonder if this is the cap badge:

http://battlemilitarybadges.com/shop.php

Search for The Somerset Light Infantry

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Nov 2015 15:11

If all else fails, try emailing a copy of the photo to the Army Museum.

I did that last year and they identified the regiment, Russian braid and a sharpshooter's badge before giving me the decade when the uniform was used. In this way I tracked back to see which members of the family it fitted and there was only one in that regiment in that particular decade.

Good luck.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 27 Nov 2015 10:25

https://www.facebook.com/Ww1PhotoPostcardsOfTheRoyalArtilleryRga...
WW1 Photo Postcards of The Royal Artillery, RGA, RFA & RHA. 2057 likes · 20 talking about this. I've set ... Visitor Posts. Peter Moore · November 13 at 6:34a

the uniforms were worn post WW1..the collar badges worn by the RA and others look like the flame grenade insigna.

DeeCeeWhy

DeeCeeWhy Report 21 Mar 2016 12:54

Shirley, Its not too clear a photo....but going on the 'shape' of the cap badge...could it be 'The Somerset Light Infantry'...?....are there any connection,s with that regiment in the family ?