Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sollitt,s in New Brunswick.Canada 1830-1870

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 7 Nov 2015 14:00

I am searching for any info regarding Yorkshire Sollitt,s who joined the 15th Reg, and we're posted to Jersey C.I. then on to Canada.My ggrand other was born in 1863 in St John's to a John & Mary Sollitt who was serving with 15 th.I have no Idea of what rank this person held .I am a member of a small group of Sollitt,s Based in the South of England.Any help would be most gratefull.

Regards

Brian Sollitt :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 7 Nov 2015 17:22

Hello Brian, welcome to the boards.

Could you give the name of the person born 1863? (Should that read great grandmother?)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 7 Nov 2015 17:30

Don't know if this is connected:

Quebec, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1968
Name: Henry Sollit
Event: Baptême (Baptism)
Baptism Year: 1829
Baptism Location: Quebec (Quebec City), Québec (Quebec)
Religion: Anglican
Place of Worship or Institution: Anglican Garrison

He was the son of John Sollit, a private in the 15th Regiment of Foot, and his wife Mary.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Nov 2015 17:51

Do you know Mary's maiden name, Brian?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Nov 2015 17:57

This isn't the family that you're inquiring about, Brian, but wonder if it's related to your Sollets?

Mary Elizabeth Sollit

in the Quebec, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1968
Record Image View

Name: Mary Elizabeth Sollit
Spouse: William Stuart
Event: Mariage (Marriage)
Marriage Year: 1832
Marriage Location: Quebec (Quebec City), Québec (Quebec)
Place of Worship or Institution: Anglican Cathedral Holy Trinity Church

Mary Elizabeth was the widow of John Sollet late of the 15th. regiment of foot. If I'm reading it correctly her maiden name was Moss.

William was late mate of the bark Flora of Bristol, England.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Nov 2015 18:43

I don't understand something. Was Elizabeth Sollitt born 1863 your gt. grandmother? But isn't your surname Sollitt? So did a Sollitt marry a Sollitt somewhere along the line?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Nov 2015 19:10

Trees on Ancestry say that her name is Elizabeth Lily and that her parents were Henry & Mary Ann not John & Mary. This matches later censuses where she's listed as Lily in 1881. These trees also say that Henry was born in Canada.

One tree has a photo of Elizabeth Lily with her son Reginald Mesny Sollitt. That answers my question about the Sollitt surname being passed down from Elizabeth.

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Nov 2015 20:25

There is an abstracted collection of British documents online at LAC:
Digitized Microforms
British Military and Naval Records (RG 8, C Series) - Documents (Archived)
British Military and Naval Records (RG 8, C Series) - Index only (Archived)
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/Pages/military-heritage.aspx

It's only a partial index - it did get:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform/data2/dm09/d09/006003/c-11861/jpg/c-11861-02662.jpg

Title: British Military and Naval Records (RG 8, C Series) - INDEX ONLY
Mikan Number: 105012
Microform: c-11861
Page 2662 of 6502

but I've not looked it up in the main series.

==================

Incidentally, there's no St John's NB.
There is a St John's Newfoundland and a St John NB - which are we after?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Nov 2015 20:59

To be really picky the New Brunswick one is spelled Saint John while the Newfoundland one is St. John's.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Nov 2015 21:19

I believe that Elizabeth Lily's father was Henry Sollitt born Quebec and Henry's parents were John & Mary,

Henry Sollit

in the Quebec, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1968
Record Image View

Name: Henry Sollit
Event: Baptême (Baptism)
Baptism Year: 1829
Baptism Location: Quebec (Quebec City), Québec (Quebec)
Place of Worship or Institution: Anglican Garnison

Original reads:
"Henry son of John Sollitt private soldier in H.M. 15th Reg't of Foot and of Mary his wife born Aug, 22nd and baptised Sept. 9th. 1829."

Brian

Brian Report 8 Nov 2015 10:13

Hi Everyone Yes, my great grandmother was Elizabeth Lily Sollitt b.1863.The reason that there is confusion in the name sequence is that I am lead to believe Elizabeth Lily had a son Reginald Sollitt (Mesney )Father on his marriage licence is Charles Mesney, Tailor ,Jersey C. I.there is no sign of a marriage.When Reginald married Rose Lillian Tusler he took his mother's surname for what reason I am unaware hence the Sollitt name.When the family moved back to Jersey the 1881 Census has Elizabeth as a Dressmaker therefore I can see a possible link.Many thanks for your information which I will instantly file.

Regards

Brian Sollitt

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 Nov 2015 11:42

Brian, you didn't mention that in your opening post you said that Elizabeth was the daughter of John & Mary but all records point to her being the daughter of Henry & Mary Ann, Henry being the son of John & Mary. You haven't skipped a generation in your tree, have you?

Brian

Brian Report 8 Nov 2015 14:16

Hi Margee
My apologies I forgot to put Henry in front of John,as you say he is the son of John & Mary.I have Henry John,s wife down as a Mary Ann Lloyd born Jersey C.I. .