Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cremin WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denis

Denis Report 11 Nov 2015 02:27

I happened on this amazingly here and wondered where does the info come from and where can I find the "images". He is my father.

Name: John Cremin
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897
Age at enlistment: 19
Birth Parish: Passage
Birth County: Cork
Document Year: 1916
Regimental Number: 6857
Regiment Name: Royal Engineers (Transportation Branch)
Number of images: 5
EDIT: Father given as THOMAS

Document Year: 1918
Regimental Number: 300424
Regiment Name: Royal Engineers
Number of images: 16

This one seems to have had no sign up papers. No relatives mentioned, or birthplace. was aged 20 last birthday when posted for duty 20.2.16. He claimed previous service with the 1st Dublin Fusiliers Regt No 40267.

Edit: next of kin was mother. Rathanker Upper Rochestown Co Cork.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Nov 2015 09:28

Hello Denis

the images for the first record (service no 6857) are on FindMyPast, where there are quite a few other military records for a John Cremin born c1897 in Cork. This one suffered gunshot wounds to head and shoulder.

Haven't read through them all to see if they're the same man or others with same name.

When you say you happened on the information here do you mean you found them in the military records? If so, you should be able to view the pages. Otherwise, what was your source?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2015 11:37

The name sounds familiar - could there have been a thread posted by someone else?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2015 11:41

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1343341
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1331875

Both posted by Haribo & mentioning John Cremin(s)

Haribo may still be a member - if you think there is a connection, you could send her a message by going to one of the threads, then clicking on her name.

Denis

Denis Report 11 Nov 2015 11:43

Thanks. I happened on them simply after a Google search led me to this site. It was uncanny to see others discuss him as we didn't have any such records growing up even though he lived until 1995. He was discharged with gunshot sounds to the head and shoulder indeed so I certainly need to visit that site Findmypast. An auctioneer site in Dublin also showed me what is almost certainly his pawned war medal missing for 45 years so it is a fascinating Remembrance Day. Thanks again for the link

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2015 11:50

Ignore my PM - as a new user, we may have assumed that you were unfamiliar with the site. Obviously you've found your way back :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2015 12:00

This one's on Ancestry - they have free access to Military records until midnight

Document Year: 1918
Regiment Name: Royal Engineers
Form Title: Cover for Discharge Documents
Number of Images: 17

So's this one
Birth Date: abt 1897
Birth Place: Passage, Cork
Enlistment Age: 19
Document Year: 1916
Regiment Name: Royal Engineers, Transportation Branch
Number of Images: 5

Both Ancestry and FMP offer 14 day trials. Just make sure you cancel before the trial period expires

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2015 12:12

Probably relates to the John Cremin in the RE Transport Branch - from Ancestry

UK, Silver War Badge Records, 1914-1920

Discharge Unit: Royal Engineers I.W & D.
Regiment: Royal Engineers
Regimental Number: W.R.300424
Badge Number: B52850
Piece: 2998
List Number: RE 2401-2700
Record Group: WO
Record Class: 329

Enlisted 26 Feb. 1916, discharged 28 Nov 1918. Cause Wounds
Served overseas.
Then has 20 years notated which was probably his age.

If you weren't already aware, the SWB was given to injured or convalescing servicemen to show that they were/had 'done their Duty'.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2015 12:17

More regiments to throw into the mix! Again, Ancestry

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
Regiment or Corps: Royal Munster Fusiliers, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish Fusiliers), Royal Engineers
Regimental Number: 6857, 40425, 30368, WR/300424

Aside from the SWB, he was also awareded the British and Victory medals

Potty

Potty Report 11 Nov 2015 12:18

As he was discharged due to wounds, he would probably have been awarded the Silver War Badge - this is the only John Cremin in the RE to have done so:

Name:John Cremin
Discharge Unit:Royal Engineers I.W & D.
Regiment:Royal Engineers
Regimental Number:W.R.300424
Badge Number:B52850
Piece:2998
List Number:RE 2401-2700
Record Group:WO
Record Class:329

This record is from Ancestry and matches the second man. His Service Record is on Ancestry - their military records are free until midnight today.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2015 12:25

As David originally said, all records must relate to the same man. The medal card lists his various regiments. He was assigned a different regimental number each time he was transferred.

Royal Munster Fusiliers – 6857
Royal Dublin Fusiliers – 40425
Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish Fusiliers) – 30368
Royal Engineers - 300424

Potty

Potty Report 11 Nov 2015 12:36

The Service Record on Ancestry show him as joining the Royal Munsters with the number 6857 and then later pages show him in the RE.

One of the pages has a note saying he was wounded in the arm & head on 18/08/1917 and was sent home on the 27/08/1917.

Denis

Denis Report 11 Nov 2015 13:14

Thank you all for the fascinating leads. Signed up to Ancestry! His discharge mentions all these regiments.