Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frank Cain

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 11 May 2016 21:03

I have found a family photo of My Uncle Frank in an army uniform He served in Palestine WW2 .that's all I have 1942 he was 18yrs old from St Helens Merseyside ? can anyone help at all Thank You

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 May 2016 21:15

What information are you trying to find about him?

Kath. x

Barbra

Barbra Report 11 May 2016 21:18

Kath which regiment or post he held .his son has asked me if I can find anything .but no real info only the one photo .a bit of a stab in the dark really Barbra

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 May 2016 21:18

Could this be his birth? :-

First name(s) FRANK
Last name CAIN
Birth year 1924
Birth quarter 2
Registration month -
Mother's last name BRIERS
District PRESCOT
County Lancashire
Country England
Volume 8B
Page 1477

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 May 2016 21:20

WW2 service records are not online - they are still with the MOD. Details of how to order them are here:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

The cost is £30 and you have to meet certain criteria to order them.

Kath. x

Barbra

Barbra Report 11 May 2016 21:21

Yes Kath That's Him x its his military life ? he survived the war .

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 May 2016 21:23

On the photo you have is he wearing a cap with a badge on it? If so is it possible to scan the photo and enlarge it so that you could check the cap badge?

Kath. x

Barbra

Barbra Report 11 May 2016 21:23

Oh Thank you will tell my Cousin & see if he wants to look further .Many thanks Barbra x

Barbra

Barbra Report 11 May 2016 21:24

sorry no he is in short sleeve shirt no hat .thanks for your help x

greyghost

greyghost Report 12 May 2016 12:46

There are only 2 Frank Cain's listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site, one who died 1945 aged 34 and the other aged 28 in 1944 - both have parents in the West Midlands area, so it looks as though he survived the War.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 May 2016 15:49

Barbra, has his shirt got any visible badges or other insignia on it, which might help identify the regiment? If not, I think your only hope is getting his records, as Kathleen said.

As next of kin, his son can apply for them.

mgnv

mgnv Report 12 May 2016 20:11

Your uncle, or aunt if he's dead, can apply.for his service record - I think it might be free for them, but probably they're both dead. In that case, anyone can apply, but there's a difference in the amount of info in the record between what his son will get compared with his niece, so his son should apply for the record - Kath has given the web addy above..

Barbra

Barbra Report 12 May 2016 21:50

Many Thanks for your replies yes he did survive the war ,.But both he & my Aunty are deceased .My cousin will have to look himself .as you say next of kin Thank you Barbra :-)