Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

photograph of genuine soldier?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sandra

sandra Report 7 Jun 2016 14:27

I have seen a studio portrait of a "soldier" and his family, taken around 1915. However, I can find no record of his enlistment under his name ,nor can I find a Soldier no. for him. Is it possible that he was actually a civilian, using a borrowed uniform just for the photo?
Sandra

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Jun 2016 14:51

A large number of WW1 service records ( approx 60%) were destroyed, so not being able to find a record is not unusual at all. Can you identify the uniform? or if you can upload the photo to keepsafe and make it public someone here may be able to.

If you would like to post details, his name, location of birth and age I can take a look on records?

sandra

sandra Report 7 Jun 2016 23:04

Hi Rose
The man I seek is:
William Arnold, b. 1878, Alton, Hants.
His uniform in the photo is that of the Hampshire Yeomanry
He would be 37 in the 1915 photo - would he have been allowed to enlist at this age?
A record found from his employers said that he was going to Winchester the following day to enlist in the Royal Veterinary Corps.
best wishes
Sandra

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jun 2016 23:10

There was conscription for men aged between 18 and 40 in WW1 and later the age limit was raised to 51, so your man was definitely not too old.

Kath. x

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Jun 2016 11:29

Have you tried looking for a medal card for him - nearly every serviceman got at least one campaign medal.

I think they were more lax for non-combat solders. I know of one Canadian solder who was, in civilian life, a railroad construction gang foreman. He joined the CEF as part of the Canadian Railway Construction Corps, doing pretty much his civilian job.. He was in his late 70s when he enlisted and was over 80 when demobbed. Of course, he lied abt his age, claiming to be in his late 50s - he also lied when claiming no previous military experience - well, he could hardly admit to fighting for the Union in the American civil war when he claimed to have been born after that war's end.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jun 2016 15:25

?

Just from google, so haven't checked against anything else
EDIT no sorry not this one, see below

Reference: WO 372/1/120696
Description: Medal card of Arnold, William Corps Regiment No RankArmy Veterinary Corps13706 Private Royal Field Artillery 92122Private
Date: 1914-1920
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record
Closure status: Open Document, Open Description

EDIT right service wrong man...
William Arnold
in the British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920

Name: William Arnold
Birth Date: abt 1877
Enlistment Age: 38
Document Year: 1915
Residence Place: 10 Chermys St, Griffiths Town Nr Newport
Regimental Number: 92122
Regiment Name: Army Veterinary Corps
Number of Images: 3
Form Title: Short Service Attestation
Other Records: Search for 'William Arnold' in other WWI collections
Family Members:
Name Relation to Soldier
William Arnold Self (Head)
Edith Florence Arnold Child
Kathleen Francis Alice Arnold

sandra

sandra Report 8 Jun 2016 20:54

Hi Rose - again!
Yes, you've helped me before, I'm happy to say.
The William Arnold I seek was living in Alton Hants, in 1911, with his wife Emma and daughters Annie, b. 1904 and Dorothy, b. 1907. By 1915, he was working as a Coachman for the Treloar Hospital in Alton, Hants.
No proof that William enlisted at all, of course, except a statement by the hospital in 1915, that he had left his employment and was going to Winchester to enlist in the Royal Veterinary Corps the day following this announcement.
Does any of what you found tie in with this, in your opinion?
I know he didn't die in WW1.
After your last advice was such a big help, It's great to hear from you again
Best wishes
Sandra

Potty

Potty Report 9 Jun 2016 11:11

There is also this one:

Name:
William Arnold

Regiment or Corps:Army Veterinary Corps
Regimental Number:SE/3658

He received the three usual medals plus the Silver War Badge (which means that he was either wounded or discharged due to illness).

Date of entry into France - 5/12/1915 which tie up with when he enlisted.

Potty

Potty Report 9 Jun 2016 11:15

There is a tree on Ancestry which has the photo and a copy of the extract from the hospital minutes that says he was called up.

Potty

Potty Report 9 Jun 2016 11:22

Not sure if the above is your William. On the SWB list his age is shown as 45 when discharged on 18/1/1918, which make him a few years older than your man. Also, the Regt No is given as SE 13658