Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Service in Iceland during WW1.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janine

Janine Report 5 Jul 2016 21:53

According to some research my grandfather was in the Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers during WW1 and did see some service in Ireland. Why would he have been in an Irish regiment when he was born and brought up in Derbyshire and would he have served anywhere else? I can't seem to find anymore information about him, his name is Ernest Bowler.

Thank you

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Jul 2016 22:16

This might be him, but it will cost you £28 to find out for certain.

http://www.inniskillingsmuseum.com/search-records/?srchval=bowler&pg=1&exdbsearch=

There are several other sites to look at if you google Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 6 Jul 2016 08:40

Ireland did not have it's independence until after WW1 so technically home soil and a home regiment. There were problems over there so perhaps he was bolstering the regiment to deal with the problems. :-)

Janine

Janine Report 7 Jul 2016 15:02

Thank you to both of you for your response, I'm reluctant to spend any more money at the moment so I will try other avenues until the coffers have been refilled.

Thank you

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 14 Jul 2016 01:09

There is this Ernest Bowler from Derbyshire, in a different regiment Born in 1882. he was a labourer, and an address of 35 Hey St, New Sawley is given. he served at home, then France, then home again.

First name(s) Ernest
Last name Bowler
Birth year -
Service number 89996
Regiment Royal Defence Corps
Unit / Battalion 159th Protection Company
Residence county Derbyshire<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Residence country England
Series WO 363
Series description WO 363 - First World War service records 'burnt documents'
Archive The National Archives
Record set British Army Service Records
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from Great Britain

On his war pension he claimed an allowance for 4 children Alex., Flo, Vera and George. His allowances were also paid during service to his wife Elizabeth Eveline Bowler of 16 Back St, Old Sawley. He earned the British War Medal, the Victory Medal, and the 1914-15 Star.

Probably not your Ernest from what you've said, but thought I'd post it anyway.