Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My father

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 10 Jul 2016 18:27

Hi my father was in the RAF and was a radio operator (i completely forget the name of the aircraft,smaller than the Lancaster) He did his training in Canada yet I cannot find his records anywhere. When he married my mother he was in uniform and looked very smart, brylcream boys they were called.
His name was John Edward Horne, born 1924 died July 2016, last week he also did a lot for rafa (my spelling there may be wrong, apologies.
If anyone knew or knows him would be grateful for any info, many thanks
Chris

Plane was a Blenheim

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 10 Jul 2016 21:47

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1293080

(above 'Thread' has family info. Reference)

Sorry to hear your sad news Christopher.

Chris :)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jul 2016 06:45

You could try for his service records

Personnel Records
Royal Air Force personnel records are held at RAF Cranwell. If service number and details are known, please quote it in the correspondence. The personnel records department will only divulge information to the person to whom it refers or, if he or she has died, to his or her immediate next of kin. Anyone else must obtain written permission from the person about whom they are enquiring, or from his or her next of kin, before any information will be given to them.

A charge of £30.00 will be made for any information they provide; If cheques are submitted with queries, they should be made payable to 'HMG Sub-Account 3627'. This applies to personnel records only. The only people exempt from charge are the person to whom the records refer to or their widow or widower.

The address is:

RAF Disclosures section
Room 221b, Trenchard Hall
RAF Cranwell
Sleaford
Lincs NG34 8HB

For records of decorations and citations:

RAF Disclosures section
Room 221b, Trenchard Hall
RAF Cranwell
Sleaford
Lincs NG34 8HB

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Jul 2016 08:33

So sorry for the loss of your father.

There are no records online from just after WW1. This is because the person may still be alive.

If your mother is still alive she can ask for your father's RAF history free as Shirley said.

This may be of help

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

It is R.A.F.A. Royal Air Force Association :-) Hope you are successful in your quest.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 12 Jul 2016 10:42

Sorry to hear of your father's death.

You may possibly find when you have had time to look through his belongings that he has kept his record of service book. I found my father's which gave all his service record. He was also an RAF radio operator and trained other operators in Canada travelling out there on the Queen Mary ship. My dad also spent a lot of his last years with the local RAFA.

Christopher

Christopher Report 13 Jul 2016 20:58

Chris, Shirley,Patin and Ann,
Many many thanks for your responses, all very much appreciated. I will endeavour to ask my mother however they were divorced in 1975 and he remarried. This in its self could be problematic as this relationship is not the best. Families are funny things, when things are great then they are just that. Yet if they are strained then its like a no go zone, which is very sad but thats the way it is and one has to respect that.
My mother has so i have been told early onset dementia and on my last visit really wasn't lucid so I won't press her. Again thank you for your replies very thoughtful and helpful
Chris

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 18 Jul 2016 10:16

I don't know if this is your father but I assume you'll know?

Bucks Herald - Friday 12 July 1946

HORNE- WARD

The bridesmaids at a recent wedding at the Haddenham Parish Church of St Mary carried bouquets of red, white and blue flowers, and wore gold bracelets, the gifts of the bridegroom. They were Misses Dorothy Ward and Valerie Wheatley, who were attending their Aunt, Miss Dorothy May Ward, fourth daughter of Mr & Mrs H Ward of Woodways Haddenham. She was married by the vicar of Haddenham, the Rev P E Hughes, to Flight Sergeant John Edward Horne of Derby. Miss Ward wore an ivory satin dress, with a headress of white gardenias over her veil, and she carried a bouquet of pink rose buds and fern. Her father gave her away and Mr Arthur Ward was best man. A reception was held in the bride's home and the honeymoon was spent at Derby.

Christopher

Christopher Report 19 Jul 2016 20:49

AustinQ,

My lord, yes thats them, how strange to see they had red white and blue flowers. I never knew he was a flight sergeant? just that he was in the RAF. Thank you so very much for that information .
Kind Regards
Chris