Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Service record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

flocker

flocker Report 31 Jul 2016 20:53

About 5 years I was able to search and find my grandfathers service record.
I have rejoined today and have been trying to trace my husbands grandads service record but not a thing. I thought maybe I'm doing it wrong so looked again for my grandads record....still nothing. Have things changed?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Jul 2016 23:03

It might depend when your grandfather was in the Services. About 70% of WW1 Army records were destroyed during WW2 bombing. If he was in the Forces after c1920 or during WW2, then they are still with the MOD.

WW1 medal cards have survived, but without an unusual name combination or service number, its difficult to identify the correct one. Just think how many George or G Smiths' there are!

To see if his records are available on this site, hover your curser over Search then click Armed Forces & Conflict.

If you can't identify anything relevant, add some details - name, yob, pob, where living - to the thread and we can have a look on other subscription sites

Potty

Potty Report 1 Aug 2016 13:15

I may be wrong, but I don't think this site had WW1 records 5 years ago. Are you sure it wasn't Ancestry or FMP that you found the records on? If you don't have access, post the names and somebody will look for you.

flocker

flocker Report 1 Aug 2016 18:30

Hi sorry it was through ancestry that I found it. But thanx for replies

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Aug 2016 21:51

I have Findmypast so if you'd like to give the names you are looking for I can have a look for you.

Kath. x

flocker

flocker Report 20 Aug 2016 20:51

Hello Kath that would be very kind of you.
Sorry I've been away for a few weeks holiday.
The soldier I am looking for is Arnold Vernon Entwistle born 1906
In Derbyshire.
He joined the sherwood foresters in WW2 and he served in
Both Egypt and Africa .

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Aug 2016 22:05

Sorry, I thought it was WW1 records you were looking for.

WW2 service records are still with the MOD and are not online. Have a look here to find out how to order them - they cost £30 and sometimes take quite a few months to arrive:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Kath. x

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 21 Aug 2016 08:48

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1288040

(reference above)

Chris :)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Aug 2016 09:56

Thanks Chris. I didn't realise that Flocker had all this information 5 years ago.

The only way you will find the information you want is to purchase his service records at a cost of £30.

Kath. x

flocker

flocker Report 28 Aug 2016 11:39

Regards for the info