Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Naval records WWII

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

N17

N17 Report 29 Aug 2016 22:56

Hi All

A word of advice to anyone thinking of forking out £30 for the naval records of relatives from WW2. Owing to the fact that the Admiralty record-keeping was by some distance the worst of the three services, what you will get back may well tell you next to nothing.

I had this experience recently, and even though the records management people at TNT at Swadlincote were as helpful as they could be (they provided me with his Pay and Victualling ledger free of charge) I got absolutely no information of any of the ships on which he served.

This is particularly common with ratings that served with Combined Opertions Command, as I believe Dad did. I think it's only fair to let you guys know this to avoid any disappointments

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Sep 2016 13:17

N17, I found this out and wrote on a thread in August 2012 with information to this effect, giving the Swadlincote address.

I had rung them about buying Dad's record.

I spoke to a gentleman who informed me that it would probably not be worthwhile forking out £30 as I would find out very little from their records and Dad would have been given his full papers when he left the Navy.

He did send me the form but I never completed it.

So, do you think it would be a good idea for you to edit your thread and capitalise the letters so people might notice it more and have this information to hand?

Just an idea. :-D

Edit: I have entered the information I received in a letter from Navy Search in the MILITARY RESEARCH TIPS thread.

For those interested:

PHONE NUMBER FOR NAVY SEARCH:

01283 227913

EMAIL ADDRESS:

[email protected]

IT IS WORTH RINGING TO CHECK THE REQUIREMENTS AND COST OF A SEARCH HAVE NOT CHANGED.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Sep 2016 21:36

It might be worth adding your experience to the pinned thread 'Military Tips - please add'
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1183513

Someone might benefit from reading it.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Sep 2016 12:19

One comment - Naval records are/were as good as those from the other services. The difference comes because, as Joy said, they literally didn't keep them.

When I left the WRNS I was given all my records and I think that all the MOD will have now is my name, number and possibly dates of service. OH was the same when he retired from the RN.

The idea is that they are more use to the person concerned than gathering dust in a basement somewhere. They include reports etc. and can be used as references when job-hunting after leaving the service.

Not surprisingly, they didn't consider people doing genealogy research!! :-( :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Oct 2016 11:37

Nudged for those requiring help.

Also see the Royal Navy entry under Military Research Tips

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Oct 2016 08:47

^^^

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Oct 2016 13:41

^^^

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 2 Nov 2016 10:56

^^^

Jane

Jane Report 4 Nov 2016 08:18

I sent for my Dads Naval Service records and they were very good. Admittedly he wasn't in the Navy during World War11 but the Pension records they sent me were very helpful. Also as I was his daughter I did not have to pay £30. I got them free.

Jane